PDA

View Full Version : Spanish/American War Taxes

SurferJoe46
16-09-2006, 05:46 AM
It only took the US's Uncle Sam a hundred years or so to figure out that some of the exactions he collected from average folks back around the time of the Spanish American war were just a teeny bit excessive.

Youse guys aint gonna believe from WHERE they collected these taxes either!

Actually, we can thank a few courts which recently ruled that $8 billion "extra fees" or so in long-distance telephone taxes, originally levied to help pay for the last-century war, were grossly illegitimate in the first place.

What in the blue world were they doling out taxes for this war via the telephone system anyway?

Now the courts have ordered the Revenooers to cease and decist collecting these taxes after August 1.

Folks will be eligible for a one time refund of the long-distance tax billed for any phone service (talkie, FAX line, computer dial-up) in the 41 month period February 28, 2003 through July 31, 2006.

We will be able to claim a maximum refund of $60 as a result of this grandiose move - (be very careful carrying large sums of money in public areas!) - on our 2006 tax return.

"What a country!".....[Yakov Smirnoff]

Billy T
16-09-2006, 02:22 PM
Down here in Kiwiland we have a saying to describe this type of crappola:

Only in America!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Sweep
16-09-2006, 03:00 PM
The New Zealand taxpayer is paying for the New Zealand Wars as we speak.

http://www.newzealandwars.co.nz/

The Maori Wars here were in many respects similar to the battles America had against the Red Indian in my view. Not the same but similar. You could not call it a civil war like North vs South in the USA.

At this time various Maori tribes have claims against the Crown some of which have not been settled. Other claims have been settled.

Unlike the US we have a document called the Treaty of Waitangi which has been enshrined in law even though there appears to be a number of different translations. Like most law it rather depends on interpretation by lawyers and judges.

http://www.treatyofwaitangi.govt.nz/

Bear in mind that there are approximately 4,000,000 people in New Zealand and less than 10% are Maori. In fact I do not believe there are any full blooded Maori currently living here.

You might like to note that I have nothing against the Maori people per se but they appear to be over represented in our prison population. I am not sure why this is. It may be because the Maori is more honest and owns up in Court or can not afford a very good lawyer.