PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Networking

snowblind
15-09-2006, 10:12 PM
Hi,

I have three computers set up on broadband. One is running Windows 98, and is connected directly to the router. Another is running Windows XP and is connected (via wireless) to the router. The third one, I am having trouble with, is running Windows 98 (via wireless).

When the network is unsecured, (ie. there is no network key), the Windows 98 Machine works fine... However, when you place a network key on it, it has trouble connecting to it. I have typed, retyped, re-re-typed, re-re-re-typed, re-re-re-re-typed (hope you get the general picture!) the network key in over and over again, but still no luck. I know I'm using the right network key, as I entered it on the Windows XP machine and it works fine.

Obviously we need our network to be secure, as there are various confidential files etc on it, so merely "disabling" the WEP encryption would not suffice. The key is in HEX format.

Does anyone have any ideas? It's a pain that we have to use Windows 98 on that machine, so merely "upgrading" would also not be appropriate (not to mention that the machine is not powerful enough to run the copious amounts of GUI that XP contains)

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to thank you for reading this thread, even if you weren't able to help.

Kind Regards,

Snowblind

CYaBro
16-09-2006, 12:46 AM
Welcome to PressF1!

I would start by checking that you have the latest drivers for the wireless card on the Win98 machine.

snowblind
21-09-2006, 02:16 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the hearty welcome :-)

Sorry about the long time since my last post! Have tried updating drivers, and do have the latest drivers (which aren't particularly recent, as the device is now discontinued... Gotta love new technology). I did install the latest drivers, tried uninstalling, reinstalling etc. No luck though, I'm afraid. I'm racking my brains trying to think of a solution without disabling wireless protection. Any ideas anyone?!

Snowblind

snowblind
29-09-2006, 08:45 PM
Hi,

Well I've made SOME progress :P Seems the Win 98 Machine was trying to connect to 192.168.1.1 (default IP for someone else's router). Now I've changed it to our router IP.

So now I can access the NETWORK, i.e. print over network, share files etc. BUT I can't access the internet. I have a static IP on the Windows 98 Machine (had to do it).

Any ideas?!?

Snowblind

stu161204
29-09-2006, 08:47 PM
When you ping a website like pressf1.co.nz? What happens? Does it time out or can it find the internet?

dolby digital
29-09-2006, 09:15 PM
Hi,

Well I've made SOME progress :P Seems the Win 98 Machine was trying to connect to 192.168.1.1 (default IP for someone else's router). Now I've changed it to our router IP.

So now I can access the NETWORK, i.e. print over network, share files etc. BUT I can't access the internet. I have a static IP on the Windows 98 Machine (had to do it).

Any ideas?!?

Snowblind

Can you ping an external IP address. If you can probably a dns issue.

Speedy Gonzales
29-09-2006, 09:33 PM
If whatever u have, only supports WEP get something better that supports WPA/WPA2/WPA PSK.

berryb
29-09-2006, 10:48 PM
Sounds to me you have 2 problems. You say in your first post that the Win98 PC would work fine when unsecure but not when secure. Then you say you have played with the IP address. The IP address should not have made any difference to the issue of no connection when secured.

Now if you are going to have a static IP you will need to enter the default gateway IP which is the IP of your router. This is the most likely reason you can use the network but have no internet. The other option is to use "Obtain Address Automatically" and it should get the IP address etc from the router.

Once you know you have an internet connection when unsecured try to secure the network. If the Win 98 PC fails then there must be a limitation of the wireless card.

Twelvevolts
01-10-2006, 06:17 PM
Put XP on all of them and give yourself a break.

snoopy
01-10-2006, 07:13 PM
Try manually setting the DNS addresses of your ISP on the 98 PC, if you have the gateway & the DNS addresses right it should connect to the internet.

dolby digital
01-10-2006, 08:56 PM
Put XP on all of them and give yourself a break.

Well thats helpful isn't it... just upgrade, it will fix everything.:rolleyes:

I have found that some wireless cards are not fully compatible with access points. Try to keep to the same brand of equipment if practical. What brands are they. I have found the DSE 802.11g wireless USB dongle to be very compatible to access points but they have dropped it as they wait for the new 802.11n stuff.

snowblind
03-10-2006, 11:45 PM
Surely installing Windows XP would be "downgrading" rather than upgrading? :P Mind you Windows 98 sucks too! Perhaps I should just cut my losses and install Linux?!

Thanks for all your help everyone. I will try having a play with the DNS issues. TBH, I suspsected it was something to do with this... I found that if I set a static IP address, I can connect to the computers over network, print out from the computers over network, but can't access the internet. (Can't do that if IP is automatic though). Which does sound like a DNS issue to me...

Anyway, really appreciated. You all rock! Will keep you posted on developments...

Regards,

Snowblind

martnz
04-10-2006, 10:25 AM
Hi Snowblind,

If I were in your shoes, would break the issue into two parts:

1/ Put wireless to one side, connect W98 PC via LAN cable, and get what you want working. If it can access the XP machines, you've done the hardest bit already!

2/ WiFi security - encryption is a very good idea (!):
- Suspect WPA needs XP SP1, and you already know this.
- WEP has option of different key lengths, and "older" hardware might not support longer keys. The access point must match whatever the client PC is using.
- LAN cable might end up as best option for the W98 PC??

Regards, Martnz