PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking My CPU

Tracer-Bullet
15-09-2006, 08:14 AM
Hi,

I would like to have a bit more Proccessing power in my PC but I don't as of yet have the money to buy a new CPU so for the short term i would like to overclock my CPU. I don't know how to though so any help on what to do would be much appreciated. My proccesser is:

AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2700+, MMX 3DNow. Currently running at 2.2 GHZ

Thanks.

~Tracer-Bullet

SurferJoe46
15-09-2006, 08:17 AM
Need some info on the mother board and your buss rates....but think of this: you are going to be changing voltages to circuits that can go el-smoke-o on you...are you ready for that? :blush:

Greg
15-09-2006, 08:49 AM
Yeah, you need to consider the risk. If you're not in a position to buy an upgraded component, and are unsure of what you're doing, I'd suggest that you grin and bear with what you've got. You'd obviously be stuffed if you damaged your existing chip.

The_End_Of_Reality
15-09-2006, 09:16 AM
As SJ said, we need more info on the motherboard, voltages and speeds etc...

But the simple way is to increase the FSB SLOWLY and ensure it is not unstable by running prime 95 and some benchmarks (3D Mark 05, 06 etc) watch the speeds, you will most likely need to use a RAM divider to run that RAM slower than the FSB. and ONLY increase the voltage to the CPU when it is unstable not going past a higher v (need to know the starting v of your CPU) other wise big BOOM!! once you have that stable at a higher speed, work on the RAM is the same way, slowely increase the divider untill it is unstable and then up the v (not too high) and run stability tests and while you are doing this WATCH THE TEMPS!!!!

I must tell you if you want a fully clocked PC you NEED to do A LOT of testing and tweaking and this takes a lot of time.

You might not need better cooling depending on the temps, but it can't hurt to get an after market cooler...

If done right you will get a fair amount of speed increase... My X2 4400+ is sitting above FX62 speeds, don't think it will beat it, but it beats an FX 60 :D

Disclaimer: Due to the likelyness of friying your PC by following these steps (if done right and not too much v you will be fine) I take no responsibility if you happen to blow your CPU and/or any other part :p :)

Pete O'Neil
15-09-2006, 01:28 PM
You wont get much extra out of a 2700+, the 2700+ were based on the T-bred B core and they struggle to overclock above 2.3GHz. 2.5GHz was easily doable on the mobile Bartons, but they were special.

I've got a 2100+ with Kingston HyperX, Abit NF7-S, and a Thermalright SLK900U and i cant get it above 2.3GHz without increasing the voltage above 1.8v. Those parts were all purchased specifically because of their overclocking ability, so unless you've got some quality gear chances are you wont be able to overclock very much at all.

Before you try anything post back here with more details, e.g motherboard and memory etc. If your motherboard doesnt have a PCI/AGP lock (which alot of socket A boards didnt) then increasing the FSB will likely fry some harddrives.

Overclocking is perfectly safe, ive had the above chip running at 2.3GHz for over 2years with no problems what so ever. It regularly plays games and encodes video flawlessly. When you start overclocking you just have to start with small steps and know your limitations.

Graham L
15-09-2006, 07:07 PM
... Overclocking is perfectly safe, Except when the smoke escapes.

Pete O'Neil
15-09-2006, 08:46 PM
I know you wont beleive me Graham but it order to fry a CPU you really do have to be fairly stupid. It really does require one to raise the vcore , use inappropriate cooling and completely ignore system temps. Which is completely possible for the illinformed but anyone who doesnt do there homework and has problem really does deserve it.

Graham L
16-09-2006, 01:12 PM
Pete: You have overclocked safely (once?). That does not justify the unconditional statement that "overclocking is safe". It's clear that the questioner doesn't know the necessary precautions and care needed. He's asking. He wouldn't "deserve" a dead CPU if he went ahead on the basis of your carefree assurance: " I once ran across a three lane road without looking ... it's perfectly safe".

Don't you think that it's a good policy to not advise doing things which have potentially disastrous results?

Greg
18-09-2006, 10:08 AM
Graham... I've heard it from a pretty good authority on the subject that although the risk of CPU damage is there, an overheated CPU will almost always cause a system crash before any damage occurs. If it does start to randomly crash, undoing the overclock or lessening it will normally immediately ease the problem.

In my own experience I had a HSF fall off the chip during transit. Symptoms were very erratic behaviour, freezes and crashes. Once I discovered and rectified the problem, everything was sweet as for the next couple years until I upgraded.

So yeah, it may not be "safe", and although it's risky, not a big deal if you're prepared to take the consequnces if things go bum-up.

Graham L
18-09-2006, 04:07 PM
The consequence of a smoke event being that a Athlon XP2700+ costs, say, $188 (plus GST).

Overclocking is explicitly not supported by the manufacturers. They specify a speed which they guarantee their products for. That's why the faster ones cost more.

Mirddes
18-09-2006, 06:50 PM
I am in a very similar situation.
Im stuck with a athlonXP 2600+ barton and a really crappy mobo so i currently cant use the following advice due to the aforementioned mobo.

From what ive just read on wikipedia, your athlonXP 2700 is based on the older Thoroughbred A/B core and has a fsb of 333mhz, multiplier of 13x which results in a clockspeed of 2167mHz.
The safest overclock would be to bump the fsb up to 400mhz and lower the multiplier to 11x. This would result in a clockspeed of exactly 2.2gHz.
The added performance would come from the greater memory throughput.
This is only truely effective if your memory is also running at 400mhz.
Also your motherboard needs to support 400mhz fsb. alot of older sktA mobos dont.
Dual channel would also help.

If the aforementioned overclock doent work, i would advise trying a multiplier of 10.5 or even 10.75 if its avalable, which would result in 2100mhz and 2150mhz respectivly.
The nice thing is that this sort of overclocking shouldnt hurt the processor in anyway since there is no extra heat output so your current cooling should be enough.
the core is proven to work at fsb400 as amd released the 3100+ although its not a very common cpu.
With the barton core however there were 3 models.

Pete O'Neil
18-09-2006, 09:55 PM
Just out of curiosity how much overclocking experience do you have Graham? You seem very keen to harp on about the perils. Overclocking has come a long way since the likes of the Celeron 300A, there are very strong communities with alot of experience and knowledge. Just because you think its too dangerous doesnt mean it shouldnt be done.

P.S ive overclocked alot of systems, Pentiums, Celerons, Athlons, Durons, K6-2's