PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Updates

pcuser42
14-09-2006, 05:36 PM
Is there a way to stop Automatic Updates stop its automatic restart? I am getting really annoyed with it, as it pops up when least expected. :badpc:

SurferJoe46
14-09-2006, 06:09 PM
The only way I know...and the way I do it is turn off Automatic Updates.....works for me...then I can do it when I want to at my leasure.:2cents:

supergran
14-09-2006, 07:17 PM
I set my auto updates to download, but to ask me when to install, that works.:)

tweak'e
14-09-2006, 08:10 PM
i thought the current behaviour of the MS auto updates was to install on shutdown. (assuming it is windows updates your talking about as you havn't actually said)

Laura
14-09-2006, 08:31 PM
The default is to install on shutdown, but it also shows a clickable option to shut down without installing.

GhostBuster
14-09-2006, 08:57 PM
Is there a way to stop Automatic Updates stop its automatic restart? I am getting really annoyed with it, as it pops up when least expected. :badpc:

In control panel "automatic updates" 'select notify me .....but dont download'

that way it will still tell you but you can select when you want to download them , then do a re-start/ or if you want to.

johcar
15-09-2006, 02:03 PM
The only way I know...and the way I do it is turn off Automatic Updates.....works for me...then I can do it when I want to at my leasure.:2cents:
I (and many others) would agree turning off Automatic Updates is a good idea. However, I would also recommend installing Bigfix (free app, and safe - I have been using it for 5 years now. Googling will find it) - only a 2.6MB download - this will keep you up to date with what M$ have published, but allow you to investigate each 'fix' and download/install at YOUR will...