PDA

View Full Version : Is Ad-Aware email a hoax?

Vince
14-09-2006, 01:52 AM
I have just received an email purporting to be from LavaSoft saying that a new defination file "SE1R123 12.09.2006" is available to download.

The reason I am suspitious is that I have never had an email from them before and that it is very un-proffessional looking. When I ran Ad-Aware it said that there are no new defination files available, which doesn't suprise me because I last ran Ad-Aware just 5 days ago. Can anyone explain this?:confused:

DeSade
14-09-2006, 02:17 AM
Sounds like a hoax to me, all updates come through the auto-updater, just delete the email.

Or maybe forward it to lavasoft.

Greg
14-09-2006, 03:30 AM
Wise up. It's a phishing attempt. At least you had the sense to ask.

Vince
14-09-2006, 04:52 AM
Wise up. It's a phishing attempt. At least you had the sense to ask.

That is what I thought, but I like to get second opinion; also this informs others at the same time.:)

FrankS
14-09-2006, 04:58 PM
For info I downloaded SEIR 123 12.09.2006 using update in program yesterday but it has got problems with "multiple false positives"and Lavasys have issued SEIR 123 13.09.2006. Suggest you open Ad-Aware and update. Must admit have never received E mail requesting that I update.

FrankS
15-09-2006, 12:06 PM
SEIR123 14.09.2006 was issued late yesterday.Have just downloaded and installed it.

Vince
15-09-2006, 07:48 PM
I have had the email 3 days in a row now, each offering a new version, (different dates).

FrankS
16-09-2006, 07:34 PM
Vince, today came across following on another forum, have you somehow acquired the file.

"I have for a year if not longer kept the most recent DEFS.REF file on my ISP free space.
A Manual Update is simple, just replace the DEFS.REF file with the new one.
File is here

http://freespace.virgin.net/ceri.sheeran/

The file turns up by e-mail regularly from any one of several people who have managed to download it. I just upload it to my freespace at the address given.
The lavasoft servers can at times seem to run a little slow.
I don't think the updated file is always uploaded immediately to all servers and mirrors
I normally upload the file as soon as I get it. "

Vince
21-09-2006, 02:05 AM
I have just received an email purporting to be from LavaSoft saying that a new defination file "SE1R123 12.09.2006" is available to download.

The reason I am suspitious is that I have never had an email from them before and that it is very un-proffessional looking. When I ran Ad-Aware it said that there are no new defination files available, which doesn't suprise me because I last ran Ad-Aware just 5 days ago. Can anyone explain this?:confused:

Just to let everyone know, I forwarded the email to AdAware along with my suspitions. They tell me that it is legitimate. I must have signed up for it without remembering!?:blush: It was the emails resemblence to a typewritten page that made me suspitious.:)