PDA

View Full Version : Wireless PCMCIA for FC5

johnd
13-09-2006, 10:12 PM
Anyone out there successfully got a wireless PCMCIA card going for Fedora Core 5? Hopefully I will reduce the playing around if I get the right card!

Any recommendations? It is for an IBM T22 ThinkPad.

Jen
13-09-2006, 10:28 PM
Not knowing anything about wireless PCMCIA cards, I do however believe they come in different flavours (chipsets) etc which may influence how compatible it is with Linux. Do you know what sort yours is? You may also wish to check out the Fedora Forum (http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/index.php?) for posts on the same make of card. :)

johnd
13-09-2006, 11:14 PM
Do you know what sort yours is?

I haven't got one yet - that is the point of the post. I have done quite a bit of research and there seems to be lots of conflicting information, cards with the same model number but different chipsets, ... not an easy area it would seem.

vinref
13-09-2006, 11:26 PM
I haven't got one yet - that is the point of the post. I have done quite a bit of research and there seems to be lots of conflicting information, cards with the same model number but different chipsets, ... not an easy area it would seem.

I did the same, but with BSD - not FC. One thing I learnt - ignore make and model designations. Manufacturers chop and change and use the same make and model numbers with different chipsets. Make and model numbers are mostly for marketing purposes.

You should look for mature and stable drivers, and then look for the corresponding chipsets. Then look for cards that use these chipsets. I use cards with the PRISM-II exclusively - the BSD driver is mature and stable, the cards are cheap and the chipset is good. Intersil (the maker of PRISM) released the full specs of the card to the open source community, so a proper driver was written. Have a look at Linux and Wireless LANs page (http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/).

[Edit] Oh, and avoid NDIS wrapper stuff. eBAY is a good place to get cheap compatible wireless cards.

Jen
13-09-2006, 11:26 PM
I haven't got one yet - that is the point of the post. Ah, well I would also still check out the Fedora forum as you are more likely to find helpful information due to the sheer number of Fedora users. :)

johnd
15-09-2006, 10:33 PM
Thanks for your suggestions - I do occasionally post to the Fedora Forum but like to try our own home-grown Push F1 first!

I really don't think that the Fedora Forum will be able to help since vinref has identfied the problem - manufacturers change the chipset while still keeping the same model number. A particular WLAN card will work with (say) the Prism chipset but then they change to another chipset with no notification or change in documentation.

At the moment I have a good shop trying to get a D-Link card with the Prism chipset by talking directly to a D-Link salesman - but it is likely that they don't know either!

johnd
27-09-2006, 08:38 PM
Have got a wireless connection using D-Link DWL-G650 PCMCIA card and DWL-G700AP WAP. If any one is interested can post the details.

John