PDA

View Full Version : ASUS Notebook service in NZ

Botts
13-09-2006, 08:16 PM
Hi

I took my labtop into the ASUS service people in Auckland Monday as it had a sceen problem. The problem was that the screen was cracked and they told me that as such it was physical damage and not covered by waranty. I never dropped it, and had been working on it for 2 hours when it "crashed" so wasnt to pleased with this response. They charged me half the cost of a new labtop, and were less than interested in my suggestion i hadnt broken it.

They told me they had fixed 1000's of these (@ $1000 each thats $1,000,000 in income for them) and had convinced others they should claim insurance and not warranty. I paid for mine and got it back.

Has anyone else had similiar hassles with them? I am considering taking further action against the company as i think they are just ignoring their obligations under waranty and Consumer law. I would like to check if others have had issues before i do this.

Botts

gibler
13-09-2006, 08:36 PM
They are incorrect - there are many reports of screens developing cracks (usually from the edge as the case breaks). Some iPods were developing cracks .. and it wasn't abuse.

Quote the consumer law to them......

pctek
13-09-2006, 11:13 PM
Who did you take it to?
And I'd say they are correct - you should have gone to your insurance company first.
You say you diodn't break it - it developed a crack all by itself - well look at it from their point of view - would you believe you if it was the other way around?

stu161204
13-09-2006, 11:20 PM
Welcome to PressF1 Botts :)

KiwiMR2
13-09-2006, 11:39 PM
Do you have any idea how it cracked?? Is it a visable crack from the outside??

Had a similar incident with a Vaio today, customer brings it in saying it doesn't power on, my 1st thought is the power supply so I tried one of ours on his laptop & his on our laptop.....his power supply is fine & our one made no difference to his. Ok, pretty clear I need to send in the laptop itself & not the power supply. I Had a quick look around the power plug on the laptop & took a quick spin looking for the serial number to log in the repair.

Today a quote comes back from Sony saying the unit has obvious signs of impact damage inside & in turn obviously isn't covered under warranty. On informing the customer of the repair & checking if he want's to pay the $2000 odd dollars for the repair or look into making an insurance claim his 1st comment is "oh, Iv'e never dropped it.....it must have been you guy's in the store, maybe one of your staff dropped it". Super......we can provide video footage of it's life in the store prior to sending it centered in a box, packed, bubble wrapped like a new born baby. Sony would not have signed for a damaged box at there end. The sad part is if he decideds to push it as per usual we will probably have to just take it on the chest :( Im not saying that is what has happened with you Botts....just something along the same sort of lines.

Were also looking at having to replace a U2 Ipod that has a failed hdd around 6-7 months out of the 12 month warranty........retail is a shocker, I'd sooner be the supplier as they never get stung with anything, it's almost always the retailer who has to wear the cost.

Cheers
KiwiMR2

Cheers
KiwiMR2

Botts
14-09-2006, 11:33 AM
Thanks for your replies. My labtop was on my desk and i had been working on it for about two hours when this happened. It wasnt dropped, wasnt impacted by anything. The battery had run low and i plugged it in, and the screen was gone.

I guess my question is could it be some type of design fault? or is it likely to have been damaged earlier and somehow been affected then. The labtop does travel with me quite a lot, but i am not aware of it ever been impacted by anything. I really have no idea how it happened.

pctek
14-09-2006, 02:49 PM
The labtop does travel with me quite a lot, but i am not aware of it ever been impacted by anything. I really have no idea how it happened.

Possibly because you may be careful but baggage handlers, hotel baggage people and couriers are all not careful?

rogerp
14-09-2006, 05:35 PM
Heat can cause LCDs to fail. They can also delaminate as my desktop one is slowly doing over a long period of time. Is there any sign of the laptop buckling in any areas, or is the damage located near the source of heat, either internal or external. They should be able to prove that the damage is caused by impact damage, and not just say that it is. YOu never know, it may have been damaged in transit before you purchased it and the damage may not be appearing until now.
One of the leading causes of LCD damage is when someone closed the laptop screen down onto the keyboard when there is something on the keyboard, such as glasses.

Billy T
15-09-2006, 05:41 PM
Today a quote comes back from Sony saying the unit has obvious signs of impact damage inside & in turn obviously isn't covered under warranty. On informing the customer of the repair & checking if he want's to pay the $2000 odd dollars for the repair or look into making an insurance claim his 1st comment is "oh, Iv'e never dropped it.....it must have been you guy's in the store, maybe one of your staff dropped it". Super......we can provide video footage of it's life in the store prior to sending it centered in a box, packed, bubble wrapped like a new born baby. Sony would not have signed for a damaged box at there end. The sad part is if he decideds to push it as per usual we will probably have to just take it on the chest

Well, I'm usually known for defending the rights of consumers, but I don't support attempted rip-offs either.

I'd decline responsibility for the damage, citing that the computer was received dead and get Sony's report on why it is dead. They haven't done their job properly if they haven't identified the reason for the computer not working and having no display, then tied it to the physical damage, which of course would predate your receipt and handling.

Then go back to the customer and refuse to accept reponsibility for pre-existing physical damage, citing Sony's report and suggest that they either claim on their insurance, pay $2000 for the repair, or go play in the traffic.

Incidentally, I spent many years in the repairs/warranty side of things-electronic and I've seen most of the dodges. If you can't manage your way through a real obvious one like this, perhaps you deserve to lose $2000.

Go manage it, that's what managers are supposed to do.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

PedalSlammer
15-09-2006, 08:19 PM
Looks like my old laptop screen is cracking too. :mad: This should teach me a lesson never go for cheap brand notebooks. ASUS? From Taiwan? :rolleyes: Don't know whether is cost that much or not because a new one cost less than NZ$1000 to get one I mean low specs one. :cool: HP or Lenovo brand? Which is better?

DeSade
16-09-2006, 01:52 PM
Number one ASUS is a tried and proven brand and well up there with all the componants they make, hardly a "cheap" option,

And Botts, try Able Business Machines, we send all our repairs to them.

rogerp
16-09-2006, 11:17 PM
For desktops yes. However they are new into laptops. I looked at an asus a couple of years ago and it looked to be very badly/cheaply built and a very flimsy screen.

jesse_jax
17-09-2006, 03:52 AM
They are incorrect - there are many reports of screens developing cracks (usually from the edge as the case breaks). Some iPods were developing cracks .. and it wasn't abuse.

Quote the consumer law to them......

actually, noob:

WOULD THOSE IPODS HAVE CRACKED IF THEY WERE LEFT IN THERE CASES, ON THE SHELF?

the answer is, NO.

it WAS physical abuse, people have different definitions of 'abuse'...

for example:

'this aint abuse, this is physical endurance competition against my womens face with this 2x4''

''that wasnt abuse, i only dropped it down 25 flights of stairs''

''all i did was shoot him, honestly, whats the problem?''

:)

PedalSlammer
17-09-2006, 02:09 PM
Sorry about the earlier post, I mean the side is opening by itself over the years. And hardly used it at all. :confused: Maybe on the safer side I won't go to any Taiwan products for notebooks except maybe Lenovo. :2cents: Could have save more for a good one rather than a crappy one.

Metla
17-09-2006, 04:11 PM
For desktops yes. However they are new into laptops. I looked at an asus a couple of years ago and it looked to be very badly/cheaply built and a very flimsy screen.

Rubbish.

Asus have been producing laptops for years, not only for themselves but for numerous other brands...Including Apple.

And there are only a few laptop factories worldwide, And Asus own about half of em.

Metla
17-09-2006, 04:14 PM
actually, noob:

the answer is, NO.

for example:

'this aint abuse, this is physical endurance competition against my womens face with this 2x4''

:)

Actually Noob, If the screens crack during normal use then the device is too weak to do the job its designed for. Asking if they would crack if left in storage is a craptastic question.

If I purchased a set of tires for my car that fell apart after 100km would the seller then be in the right to point out that if I hadn't driven on the tires they would still be like new?

Sure, if he wanted a fat lip.

gibler
17-09-2006, 04:37 PM
actually, noob:

the answer is, NO.

for example:

Seems you caps lock key is broken, but how would you know until you tried it out...Maybe by using it, you have abused it.

Here is the iPod issue (http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/09/27/nanoscreen/index.php) I was thinking of..

On the Apple ads they seem to be always flailing those iPods around.

PedalSlammer
17-09-2006, 05:42 PM
Rubbish.

Asus have been producing laptops for years, not only for themselves but for numerous other brands...Including Apple.

And there are only a few laptop factories worldwide, And Asus own about half of em.
How come ASUS is not on the top 3 giant PC makers in the world? DELL, HP and Lenovo is but ASUS?:waughh:

Metla
17-09-2006, 05:53 PM
3 giant PC makers in the world?

Perhaps because Asus don't make PC's?

And for that matter Dell and HP just assemble low cost parts.....

anyhow, As of January 2006, ASUS has manufacturing facilities in Taiwan (Taipei, Luchu, Nankan, Kweishan) and in mainland China (Suzhou), with a monthly production capacity of two million motherboards and 150,000 notebook computers

In 2005, shipments from ASUS, ECS, Gigabyte, and MSI totaled 104.86 million units. ASUS led with about 52 million units, followed by ECS with 20 million, MSI with 18 million and Gigabyte with 16.5 million. MSI revised its motherboard shipments from an estimate of 16.7 million units to 18 million, according to the company.

ASUS also produces components for other corporations, including Sony (PlayStation 2), Apple Computer (iPod, iPod Shuffle, MacBook), Alienware, Falcon Northwest, HP and Compaq.

In 2004, ASUS was reported to sell more motherboards than three other leading companies combined, [3] reaching 30 million. This number, however, includes rebranding contracts

PedalSlammer
17-09-2006, 06:31 PM
3 giant PC makers in the world?

Perhaps because Asus don't make PC's?

And for that matter Dell and HP just assemble low cost parts.....

anyhow, As of January 2006, ASUS has manufacturing facilities in Taiwan (Taipei, Luchu, Nankan, Kweishan) and in mainland China (Suzhou), with a monthly production capacity of two million motherboards and 150,000 notebook computers

In 2005, shipments from ASUS, ECS, Gigabyte, and MSI totaled 104.86 million units. ASUS led with about 52 million units, followed by ECS with 20 million, MSI with 18 million and Gigabyte with 16.5 million. MSI revised its motherboard shipments from an estimate of 16.7 million units to 18 million, according to the company.

ASUS also produces components for other corporations, including Sony (PlayStation 2), Apple Computer (iPod, iPod Shuffle, MacBook), Alienware, Falcon Northwest, HP and Compaq.

In 2004, ASUS was reported to sell more motherboards than three other leading companies combined, [3] reaching 30 million. This number, however, includes rebranding contracts
That's nice. Next year ASUS may suffer a bit since demanding PC in the world has reduced until 2009.
I personally use ASUS parts for my desktops and no problem at all, but don't really know about laptops anyway. Are they nice? or Lenovo and HP is better?

pctek
17-09-2006, 07:59 PM
How come ASUS is not on the top 3 giant PC makers in the world? DELL, HP and Lenovo is but ASUS?:waughh:

Asus make Motherboards, optical drives, graphics cards and so on. No doubt they decided to manufacture laptops using these components.

HP and Dell on the other hand make labels. That get stuck on the outside of desktops and laptops which contain components made by various other manufacturers. Some OK and most crap.