PDA

View Full Version : Weird screen issue

Myth
13-09-2006, 04:58 PM
My next door neighbour just called me over to have a look at his computer. He uses Win98. The computer boots up fine, gets to desktop, and then after say 10 seconds, a horizontal line of red lines (example || || || || || || || || ) appears about a third of the way down from the top of the screen. The desktop also freezes. He uses a CRT monitor, 17", had it for a while.
As to what he has done recently, he did say that he installed an app from the Netguide CD (Photo Screensaver Maker) about a week ago. It never worked and he uninstalled it approx yesterday. However he is adamant (but not 100%) that the computer was shutdown, and then restarted to send an email without having this issue. The next time it was restarted, the above issue occurred.

My first thoughts are faulty screen or card (integrated) but I have never seen this pattern before and was hoping someone else had and knows what it is

CYaBro
13-09-2006, 06:55 PM
Try booting into Safe Mode and see if it still does it. It may be a corrupt video card driver.

Myth
14-09-2006, 09:29 PM
Turned out to be a piece of software still installed (DeskSlide?) that was conflicting with the graphics drivers and giving off VxD errors. All fixed now (uninstalled Deskslide, uninstalled all graphics, Windows reinstalled drivers on bootup)