PDA

View Full Version : Win32.CryptExe removal

Blue Druid
13-09-2006, 01:26 PM
A friend's computer has AVG reporting infection with Win32.CryptExe virus/trojan but seems unable to remove it.

Are there any 'one click' removal tools for this particular nasty? I have tried a google search but most return only an alternative AV rather than a specific fix.

She is not wonderfully confident with her computer so the simpler solution seems the best option. It seems to be pretty invasive and I suspect that manual removal might be a bit beyond her competence

O/S is XP Home but I do not have other machine specs at this time.

I have suggested TrendMicro House Call but I am not sure whether this will actually fix the problem or only identify it.

Alternatively, I could get her to download HJT and get her to send me the report to post here.

Many thanks in advance

kjaada
13-09-2006, 02:20 PM
My searches appear to say Crypt.exe is a legitimate app which AVG does not like.

kjaada
13-09-2006, 02:54 PM
Your searches are pointing to an alternative AV because it is a quirk of the present AV to report this as a Nastie.

Blue Druid
13-09-2006, 05:46 PM
Thanks Kjaada. That would certainly be consistant with my lack of results.

Is there a way to desensitise AVG to the file? The constant reporting is somewhat unnerving :o

Pancake
13-09-2006, 07:40 PM
Alternatively, I could get her to download HJT and get her to send me the report to post here.

This might be a good idea just as a check..

Blue Druid
13-09-2006, 07:54 PM
Hmm. Yes. Knowing that her degree of nouce is probably second only to my own in deficiency, I imagine that it might just reveal a bit that she doesn't know about... yet!

I'll do so as soon as she gets home from work.