PDA

View Full Version : Configuring Security Settings WPA

Oldferix
13-09-2006, 11:52 AM
I am trying to configure the WPA security settings for D-Link DSL - G604T. I have studied the D-Link manual and find that I do not understand the terminology used. Our Operating system is Windows XP Home and the modem/router seems to be working as it should.

In the set up page, should I be selecting 802.1x - or PSK Hex or PSK String?

Assuming that I go for 802.1x, the settings that I am attempting to configure and can not comprehend are:
1) Group Key Interval??? What is this?
2) Server IP address ??? Is this my ISP / D-Link address or what?

As we live in a remote area which is unlikely to find anyone trying to access our wireless network there is no desperate hurry, but I would be grateful for any information that would make us more secure.

I think that I can handle the remainder.
Can anyone help please?

martnz
13-09-2006, 12:40 PM
Hi Oldferix,

Via D-Link Home / Wireless page:

1/ Need a dot in "WPA"

2/ Group Key Interval - keep to default "3600"

3/ Need a dot in "PSK String" - think of this as a password (I use 10 or 11 characters) - also need to key same into correponding place in the PC Wirless Network settings.

Regards, Martnz

Oldferix
13-09-2006, 01:53 PM
Thanks for your reply Martynz,

I have done as you suggest - except - "also need to key same into correponding place in the PC Wirless Network settings"

How do I do that?

ps. - you've got a real 'thick' one here!

linw
13-09-2006, 02:21 PM
When the clients see an encrypted network they will prompt you to enter the pass key. Enter the same key you put into the router and all should be well.