PDA

View Full Version : Skype

Baldy
12-09-2006, 09:25 PM
Have a friend in ChCh and considering getting a Skype telephone.

Anyone had experience with Skype ~ or would I be better off just getting a good quality headset and chatting via MSN / Yahoo

I am on Xtra broadband, but my friend is on Xtra dialup

bob_doe_nz
12-09-2006, 10:02 PM
Get a good quality headset and use Skype.

Cornot
12-09-2006, 10:04 PM
I know it's possible to have a half decent phone conversation through MSN on dial-up to a broadband connection. YOu can always try that if you want.

Fidelius
12-09-2006, 11:36 PM
Skype is good, as it will automatically set different quality codecs for encrypting the speech for data transfer. This means that it won't be broken up or 'laggy' when conversing with someone on dial-up.

Broadband - Broadband conversations are much smoother and nicer to listen to though.

Cicero
13-09-2006, 09:40 AM
You have advantage of computer to phone with Skype,on top of other options.

Strommer
13-09-2006, 09:53 AM
Skype on dialup works fine, except for the first 30 to 60 seconds. After that, the connection is usually 100%. PC to PC is free, and if someone wants to call a landline the Skype rates are very good but you can get the same rates or even better by using a calling card such as "KiaOra". Of course if a person does not have a landline phone, PC Skype to landline (anywhere in the world) makes sense.

BTW, Dick Smith has Skype phones. Try it instead of the headset and if it is not satisfactory, return it for a full refund within 2 weeks.

maulaulau
13-09-2006, 10:28 PM
Hey, I have used skype for a while now the usb phones are not worth it - they are cheap, the best device I have found is a Logitech USB Headset, retails for around $70 - but well worth it no software just plugs in and works - sticker on the box - says it is fully supports skype -

Siani
14-09-2006, 11:20 AM
I've had good conversations with a friend in the US on skype using an el cheapo headset from TWH.

Strommer
14-09-2006, 01:05 PM
Hey Siani, the headset I use is even cheaper than your WH el cheapo - mine was FREE ! (Thanks to :D PCWNZ.) It is an Altec Lansing and quite good quality. Don't think there is any need to splash out big bucks on a headset for Skype.

Renmoo
14-09-2006, 02:13 PM
an el cheapo headset from TWH.
Hi. Is el cheapo a spanish word for "cheap"? And what does "TWH" short for?

Cheers :)

mejobloggs
14-09-2006, 02:22 PM
Hi. Is el cheapo a spanish word for "cheap"?Uhh.... I will try and explain that, but someone else can probably do it better.

El cheapo is not spanish. It's like.... espanglish. To make something sound spanish, its sort of a joke that you can just tack an 'o' onto the end. And El comes from spanish.

:waughh: Ok, I am completely not good at explaining... Basically, El Cheapo is a spanish/english twist to say something is cheap (usually refering to quality, but since low quality means cheap price, its both)

jcr1
14-09-2006, 04:04 PM
Hi. Is el cheapo a spanish word for "cheap"? And what does "TWH" short for?

Gasp:eek: He doesn't know what TWH is.
Actually I find my TWH, "the warehouse" headset perfectly satisfactory for Skype.

Graham L
14-09-2006, 06:33 PM
el cheapo isn't a Spanish phrase, James. It's a phrase invented by Anglophones to convey the idea of "cheap shoddy goods" produced by "foreigners".

zqwerty
14-09-2006, 06:54 PM
Americanism picked up by Kiwis watching TV, most likely implying something from Mexico hence the Spanish accent, which has connotations of cheap, shoddy, nasty.

Sorry to any Mexicans on this site.

Renmoo
14-09-2006, 07:13 PM
el cheapo isn't a Spanish phrase, James. It's a phrase invented by Anglophones to convey the idea of "cheap shoddy goods" produced by "foreigners".

Gasp:eek: He doesn't know what TWH is.
Actually I find my TWH, "the warehouse" headset perfectly satisfactory for Skype.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification. :D

Siani
15-09-2006, 03:51 AM
Americanism picked up by Kiwis watching TV, most likely implying something from Mexico hence the Spanish accent, which has connotations of cheap, shoddy, nasty.

Sorry to any Mexicans on this site.

*pout* Is not an americanism. I picked it up off my Alf Garnett-ish father, who is also firmly UK in outlook. It's actually a widely used slang term for cheap and implied lesser quality items.

This has gotten a little off topic, but the cheap $5 headset from the warehouse still works great for skype. :D

paulw
19-09-2006, 03:31 PM
I bought a Skype based analog to PC adaptor that allows my POTs phones to also work with Skye as long as the PC is running. The devise has a standard POTs line input and a USB Skype input and a analog outlet for the phones..

Cicero
19-09-2006, 05:40 PM
*pout* Is not an Americanism. I picked it up off my Alf Garnett-ish father, who is also firmly UK in outlook. It's actually a widely used slang term for cheap and implied lesser quality items.

This has gotten a little off topic, but the cheap $5 headset from the warehouse still works great for skype. :D
I thought to pout,was to disdainfully grimace.

Siani
19-09-2006, 05:42 PM
Na, less disdain, more sulk. :D