PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Linux

PENTIUM
12-09-2006, 05:07 PM
I am a bit more than a beginner having been a registered Electrical Enginner since 1973 and building my own P C's for 14 years. However Ubuntu Linux is new territory.
Can someone tell me how to get the Firefox browser in Ubuntu to work on the Xtra server?
I have the Xtra supplied standard D-Link DSL-G604T wireless modem and associated 4 port router. I connect through its RS45 ports to the network card on the P C.

I can ping the Xtra help desk with Ubuntu but this is as far as it gets. The Xtra help desk tells me they only support Windows.

Everything else under Ubuntu just wonderful and the operating system detects and identifies all the componentry correctly.

Graham L
12-09-2006, 05:37 PM
How did you manage to ping the help desk if you aren't connected to Xtra?

Have you tried setting http://xtra.co.nz as the Home address in the browser? I don't think there's anything more complicated to do in a browser, as long as there is a connection, and your ADSL modem seems to have achieved the connection. (You did set up the modem on a Windows computer, using the Xtra method, so it knows your name and password, etc ... or set up from the written instructions?)

kjaada
12-09-2006, 06:12 PM
When you say you connect to the helpdesk is it by dialup or through yr puter.
Does everything work if you use Windows?If it does then there should be no reason for any other OS on yr system to not connect also.When you are set up right the ADSL is connected all the time it is turned on providing yr ISP and telecom are working and yr puter just connects to it when you fire up.

Jen
12-09-2006, 06:20 PM
If you can ping outside websites, but not load them in a browser, then you may not have your DNS setup correctly. I take it you were pinging by IP number and not URL name?

What happens if you put this into the Firefox address bar: 202.27.184.102

Ubuntu will have a Networking configuration tool somewhere in the menu, so have a look and check everything looks OK for the eth0.

Pete O'Neil
12-09-2006, 06:27 PM
Like Jen said, you'll need to configure DNS. I had the exact same problem last week. In the networking configuration tool theres a DNS panel, all you need to do is enter the address of the Xtra DNS server.

dolby digital
12-09-2006, 07:18 PM
I agree, most likely a DNS issue, but if your router is dishing out IP addresses for the local network, it should take care of itself... or did you assign it a fixed IP address instead of Assigned by DHCP.

PENTIUM
12-09-2006, 07:25 PM
Thanks.
I think I now know what to do.

TGoddard
13-09-2006, 12:24 PM
Try disabling IPv6. I know the Dlink 502T routers stuff up when you connect an IPv6-aware computer to them (they go crazy and tell you the site is at address 1.0.0.0 if you subsequently request it in the normal IPv4 manner). This may be the same for your router.

PENTIUM
13-09-2006, 07:47 PM
Yes! You got it. That is what has happened, will get back to it when I have a spare afternoon. Much gratitude.

PENTIUM
18-09-2006, 05:44 PM
Success; now running with Firefox. It is faster on some sites than others [cookie problem?] but a lot of fun. Not as fast as IE6 though.
Thanks again for all the clues.