PDA

View Full Version : serious issues with my game

spoonos
12-09-2006, 03:00 PM
ok so i've been playing world of warcraft for a while now , and i upgraded my system to make it run better now i have new problems , my system is as follows

geforce 6600gt card
2x256 and 1x 512 rams
2.4ghz intel processor
60gig hard drive

so ok the problems have been that in game i would get a strange line or somthing which would move realtive to somthing in the game , perhaps a person or anyhting moving really , usualy it would be one line and a quick atl tab out and back in would fix it and i could carry on , however for other reasons i re built my pc and when i had reloaded my game and drivers etc this issue was far far worse with many many lines and an almost smudged effect on some of the text has made my game near unplayable , i have tried 2 graphics cards and about 5 drivers all comming back with the same problem

so i posted in the wow forums to see if anyone has had a similar problem and someone said it is likely to be cpu overclocking , so i called my mate who put me onto here , he reckons that a cpu cant be over clocked unless i change the settings myself? as i was looking round on this site i saw alt tabbing is bad for your 3d games which i didnt know but it seemingly did more harm than good in the past the links are to some screen shots i took so show the problem

please help im a sad wow addict! :P

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/6066/screen2wz9.th.jpg (http://img112.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screen2wz9.jpg)

[img=http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/6780/screen2kf6.th.jpg] (http://img112.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screen2kf6.jpg)

spoonos
12-09-2006, 03:08 PM
the game auctualy runs fine it just looks horrible all the lines going accross that picture either flicker or stay static but as far as game movement and interaction theres no probs just dont look very nice

DeSade
12-09-2006, 06:43 PM
What drivers are you using for the card and what other cards were tried with the game with the same results?

also do this

start/
run/
type dxdiag/
enter/

check the graphics options for any conflicts or problems, run all tests.

Fishy
12-09-2006, 06:47 PM
MY friend had this with cs:source and it was because his gfx card was overheating...
See what temp yours is at.

spoonos
12-09-2006, 10:02 PM
did the direct diagnostic already that didnt come back with anything all the tests were fine .

i has css on this pc before i rebuilt it and it showed very minimal signs of the same problem , as i cant be bother re installing it since i dont play it much i dont know the current condition ,

the drivers i tried were the out of the box driver on the cd , the beta and non beta latest drivers from nvadia and a couple of other i cant remember , the other card was a similiar but older model

gibler
12-09-2006, 10:42 PM
Did you reinstall the game or apply game updates.

It looks as though one of the texture files in the game may be corrupt to me..

spoonos
13-09-2006, 12:19 AM
i totaly re built my computer and reinstalled the game from scratch there was a thing in the game forums to reset a file in there which i did and it didnt help so i put it back and still no joy , this is really upsetting :waughh: haha

DeSade
13-09-2006, 11:02 AM
Try this.....

To resolve these problems turn Specularity and Pixel Shaders to "0".

Open the World of Warcraft folder on your hard drive.
Open the *** folder.
Open the Config.*** file using a text editor, like Notepad.
Change SET specular "1" to SET specular "0"
Change SET pixelShaders "1" to SET pixelShaders "0"
Save the file and start World of Warcraft again.

Note: You may not see the lines you need to change; in this situaion, please type the full lines in manually.

Also, running World of Warcraft in 'OpenGL' mode may cause certain graphical effects not to display properly. Switching the rendering mode of the game from 'OpenGL' to 'Direct 3D' can resolve some display issues.

Open the World of Warcraft folder on your hard drive.
Open the *** folder.
Open the Config.*** file using a text editor, like Notepad.
Change SET gxApi "opengl" to SET gxApi "direct3d"
Save the file and start World of Warcraft again

spoonos
13-09-2006, 03:29 PM
yeah that method was on the wow website i tried that and had the same problem its now back as it was ,

however after looking around on the wow forums more i;ve noticed that near everyone with this problem ( glad im not alone ) is using this 6600GT card so im starting to think its a link between that card and somthing else but i dont know what yet

DeSade
13-09-2006, 04:59 PM
Possibly the nVidia drivers.

Try the latest drivers from your card manufacturers site
If you need help post the name of the card.

spoonos
14-09-2006, 05:37 AM
hey i have tried the orignal driver on the Cd , the latest and the lastest beta drivers from Nvadia and also some others for that card from other sources all with the same problem , im not convinced its the driver cause a similar 6000 series grforce card came up with the same prob on my machine , so far i have been told its , over clocked CPU , over heated CPU over heated Gcard and wrong drivers falt , all of those possibilites have been explored and pretty much ruled out , is anyone else suffering the same problem as with with this card on CS:S or WoW?

DeSade
14-09-2006, 08:38 AM
You can check the heat fairly easily
Run it with the case off and possibly a desk fan pointed into it to remove any possibility of overheat.

Other than that sounds like its the card, do you have access to another for testing purposes?

spoonos
14-09-2006, 04:40 PM
ok tried it with the case off and a fan onto the cpu, no noticeable differnce yeah did try another geforce but i dont have any others to try

spoonos
14-09-2006, 08:28 PM
is it likley that if the CPU already overheated too much it'l now be naffed?? cause so far i havnt been able to solve this problem im thinkin that the CPU might have had it but that siad why would a game thats that old do that ??

DeSade
15-09-2006, 01:51 PM
No its very unlikely your cpu is damaged, perhaps your gpu is, the one on the graphics card but you would need to test your card in another machine to check that.

Your problem has me stumped, might be quicker and easier to just replace the card.

spoonos
16-09-2006, 12:37 AM
yeah another 300bucks down the drain , is that somthing a warrenty should cover ? i havnt had it very long

DeSade
16-09-2006, 01:54 PM
yeah another 300bucks down the drain , is that somthing a warrenty should cover ? i havnt had it very long

Depends on if you installed it yourself or got a professional to do it. Most warranty contracts say the item must be installed by a professional.

No harm in trying thou, at the very least they might test it for you.