PDA

View Full Version : Printing on shiny paper

Jacquie
12-09-2006, 11:07 AM
I have company leaflets which are shiny. I want to add my name and number to them but when I try with my inkjet the ink goes into little blobs and rubs off. Would it work if I used a laser printer instead?

godfather
12-09-2006, 11:26 AM
Possibly, but if the shiny finish is due to a lamination process, or if the ink or paper used is heat sensitive, it could be a problem with the fuser heat from the laser.

suyin
12-09-2006, 11:41 AM
You may also need to change the "paper type" options when printing. The printer will have different settings for different paper types (coated, uncoated, fabric, etc) and weights (80gsm, 200gsm, etc) because it needs to know how much ink to output onto the stock.

For example, a heavier uncoated paper will soak up more ink than the standard photocopier A4 paper.

somebody
12-09-2006, 11:44 AM
Some papers can't be used in laser printers, because of surface coatings. It would pay to check this before stuffing it into a laser printer.

Graham L
12-09-2006, 12:07 PM
If they are "old fashioned" commercially printed pamphlets, with no lamination, they should be fine in a laser (or other electrostatic ;) ) printer. It might pay to use manual feeding if they have been folded (and straight line output if your printer has that option). Paper feed is always a problem with slippery paper, especially if it is not completely flat.

Jacquie
12-09-2006, 12:52 PM
Thanks, the paper doesn't seem to be laminated, it is just like a magazine page in texture but a little thicker. It hasn't been folded at all and is on a4 so shouldn't be any problems there.