PDA

View Full Version : Shall I upgrade to 2 GB memory?

hotkiwi
11-09-2006, 06:37 PM
friends,
I currently hold 1 GB of RAM in my Dell inspiron 6000. My phtolibrary has grown enormously on my 100 GB harddrive and Picasa 2.0 has problems to access it. it sometimes blows off the virusprotection to create space and from time to time can not open the directory at all, saying lack of resources. the process is also incredibly slow. I suspect for these applications with HUGE directories 1 GB RAM is not enough? Is there scope and effect to be expected from upgrading to 2 GB? I remember from my old days that a processor could not address more than a certain amount of RAM and in those days buying too much RAM was just a waste. is that still so?
thanks for advise.
Cheers
Johan

Trev
11-09-2006, 06:46 PM
Have you defragmented the drive. Also if it is to full the drive won't work properly. To defragment your drive properly you have to have 15% or better of free disk space. When you run the defrag program it well till you that.

Trevor :)

hotkiwi
11-09-2006, 06:51 PM
No, you are right, drive is about full. Will transfer bulk of it to our main desktop PC, was just too lazy for that...... Still i wonder what upgrading to 2 GB would mean for my compy......

godfather
11-09-2006, 06:53 PM
2 GB of RAM will not help in indexing a folder with too many files.

It does not open them all and hold them in memory....

Pete O'Neil
11-09-2006, 08:04 PM
Have you physically specified how much space on the harddrive windows is allowed to use for the swap file? or have you left Windows to manage it?

georgeks
11-09-2006, 11:22 PM
Update to 2G RAM and do one -or both-of the following: Create a Virtual Drive from tthe folder you have your imafes, and make the executive files to remain in RAM instead of Virtual memory..The Second you can do with TweakNow PowerPack 2006, the first one was a program called Smart Cache or something similar from O&O. An extra you get from 2G of RAM is that you can also have it in Dual Channel, this should also increase performance

mikebartnz
12-09-2006, 12:23 AM
I would say check with Spybot or such for spyware because with 1GB of memory there should be very little slow down unless the HD is choka and then a defrag would help.

pcuser42
12-09-2006, 08:46 AM
I suggest you upgrade the HDD to at least 200GB and upgrade RAM to only 1.5GB. This will last longer than upgrading RAM to 2GB, and having problems in Windows. I have a 160GB HDD, I haven't used 30GB yet! :lol:

andy
12-09-2006, 09:32 AM
I suggest you upgrade the HDD to at least 200GB and upgrade RAM to only 1.5GB. This will last longer than upgrading RAM to 2GB, and having problems in Windows. I have a 160GB HDD, I haven't used 30GB yet! :lol:

Have to agree. Sounds like your HDD is near full so you probably don't have sufficient space for the "virtual memory" to do its thing. Start by adding a second drive - its cheaper than the RAM anyway. 1 Gb of RAM should be more than sufficient but you probably need to do some serious file sorting and tidy up your drive. Put all your data on the new drive and leave plenty of space on C drive for Windows to play with.