PDA

View Full Version : reformating pc

hammer
11-09-2006, 04:19 PM
trying to reformat to sell pc... want to wipe eveything on there and install new windows....
if i try it .......just by right clicking on c drve to format it.....it says drive in use cant be done...
if i try to use the windows cd .......it says the windows i am installing is older(due to updates) than the one on there and grinds to a halt ... doing nothing....

?????

developer
11-09-2006, 04:33 PM
You can boot from Windows CD, format harddisk and resintall Windows.

SurferJoe46
11-09-2006, 04:35 PM
Olde rule: you cannot modify any files that are currently open or running...ergo: you cannot format the same program away that you are using to do the format..OK?

What you can do is get a 98SE floppy install disk (http://www.answersthatwork.com/Downright_pages/downrights_bootdisks.htm) (yes, it will work!) and format off the command on it and erase the harddrive completely.

You DO HAVE an install CD-ROM for what you want..right?

And no..you cannot install an older system over a newer one...that would be a downgrade and not an upgrade.....at least not without using a dual-boot or another trick that may be out of your area of experience. But ask if you like...the people here are very helpful...at least MOST of them are! LOL

pcuser42
11-09-2006, 05:13 PM
The Windows 98SE disk will only work if the disk is formatted with FAT, FAT16 or FAT32. If it is formatted with NTFS, then you have to use Windows NT, Windows 2000 or Windows XP to format.

Trev
11-09-2006, 05:36 PM
You don't say whay version of Windows you have. If older than XP you have to go into Dos and type format c: if Windows XP go into command prompt and type the same.

Trevor :)

vader
11-09-2006, 05:38 PM
Turn off the PC. Turn on and hit del (usually) to get into the BIOS. Go to Boot options. Disable Boot from HDD and enable Boot from CD. Put your Windows CD in. Save and exit. Boot from the CD. Hopefully you should get the option to erase/format your HDD. You're away laughing! Sorry, forgot to mention - This is for XP!

drcspy
11-09-2006, 06:21 PM
The Windows 98SE disk will only work if the disk is formatted with FAT, FAT16 or FAT32. If it is formatted with NTFS, then you have to use Windows NT, Windows 2000 or Windows XP to format.

if I recall correctly you can fdisk using a 98 boot floppy then use fdisk to remove 'non dos partition' (ntfs) then format to fat32

SurferJoe46
11-09-2006, 07:31 PM

if I recall correctly you can fdisk using a 98 boot floppy then use fdisk to remove 'non dos partition' (ntfs) then format to fat32

That's right...I have done it that way every Spring burn-down! :thumbs:

hammer
11-09-2006, 08:18 PM
yeah it is on XP .. thank you everyone who replied i will see how it goes tomorow... cheers

chip
13-09-2006, 12:53 AM
Hi go to control panel ''add & remove'' uninstall sp1 or sp2 this will let your xp disk reformat your drive

drcspy
13-09-2006, 04:30 AM
errrrrr.......since when does a sp have anything to do with a format ?

chip
13-09-2006, 09:15 PM
if i try to use the windows cd .......it says the windows i am installing is older(due to updates) than the one on there and grinds to a halt ... doing nothing........................................so remove service pack 1 or 2 and then re do format this works as I had same problem in past

Jen
13-09-2006, 11:20 PM
....so remove service pack 1 or 2 and then re do format this works as I had same problem in pastA reformat wipes the disk of everything and replaces the file system so that you can start afresh. It makes no difference to what you had installed initially (if a Window file system). I think you are confused with doing a repair of the OS, but that does not involve a reformat. :)

TGoddard
14-09-2006, 12:15 AM
Formatting will not remove the data from your hard drive securely - only the references to the various files will be removed. Your documents could still be recovered using special software. Try downloading this CD:

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

Use a CD burning program to burn this to a CD. Mark it as dangerous!. You need to start your computer with this in the drive. All hard drives attached to the computer will be completely and irrevocably erased. The next user can then install Windows on the now blank disk.