PDA

View Full Version : Printer warranty

Jacquie
11-09-2006, 04:00 PM
Hi, I am having problems with my brother printer, it is printing on a slant and it is also blurry. I have rung and got the address of a service centre as I have had it under a year but the problem is I haven't been using genuine brother cartridges. Will this invalidate my warranty, I don't think the problem is to do with the cartridges as the paper is obviously feeding in wonky. Otherwise, I could go and buy a load of genuine ones before I take it in? But the printer is only worth $200 and the genuine cartridges are so expensive. Thanks.

pctek
11-09-2006, 04:55 PM
Send it in without any cartridges in it.

Billy T
11-09-2006, 04:56 PM
It won't invalidate the warranty unless the print heads have been affected. Even then it is arguable that the non-genuine cartridges would do that anyway.

Check the terms of the warranty, then go back to the shop that sold it, it is their problem to fix or repalce, you don't have to deal with the service agent directly, though that might be quicker.

You could also consider taking it in with no cartridges in it, arguing that you don't want all your expensive Brother ink blown on their repair.

Doesn't sound like a printhead fault either.

If anybody has time, could they dig up the Epson? warranty thread from a few weeks back and post a link, I haven't time to search for it right now, but that thread has all the advice you need plus a happy ending.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Trev
11-09-2006, 05:08 PM
http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=71801&highlight=sanco

Trevor :)

Jacquie
11-09-2006, 10:03 PM
Thanks, the instruction book says it must be transported with the little plastic things that it came with (which I chucked out!) or cartridges or they might invalidate the warranty. I bought it off a shop online so I might just try and take it straight to the brother service agent and hope for the best.

KiwiMR2
11-09-2006, 11:50 PM
Brother aren't to bad from an official point of view:

http://www.brother.co.nz/common/static_html/Consumables%20statement.htm

However be careful taking it to an "autorised" brother repair agent......Im 99% sure they will in fact blame the 3rd party inks regardless ;) Brother have service centres so might pay to deal with them. If you take it back to the retail outlet you brought it from you won't get a say on where it get's sent. I have the address of the Brother service centre in the Wellington region if that helps.

Cheers
KiwiMR2

pctek
12-09-2006, 09:05 AM
..Im 99% sure they will in fact blame the 3rd party inks regardless
Yes.....

My printer:

C4844A No 10 HP Black Cartridge HPC4844A $54.99

69ml new Black Compatible Cartridge, for HP C4844A. $19.99

You can see why they want you to buy the "real" ones....

Jacquie
12-09-2006, 11:36 AM
I am in Auckland so it look like I will have to take it to one of the authorised dealers. So it looks like I might have to buy the genuine cartridges and install them to take it in.

KiwiMR2
12-09-2006, 03:26 PM
Yes.....

My printer:

Yeah HP one's are indeed the most expensive....one thing to give them a bit of credit for though is HP are the only one's who put the print head in the cartridge itself....as a pose to the others who have the print head in the machine, every new cartridge has a new head so in theory consistant printing instead of watching the prints get worse over time as the head goes. Still not worth it in my opinion though....hence Im on a Epson with aftermarket inks, at $99 a printer Im happy to thrash mine :)

Cheers
KiwiMR2

DeSade
12-09-2006, 06:33 PM
I am in Auckland so it look like I will have to take it to one of the authorised dealers. So it looks like I might have to buy the genuine cartridges and install them to take it in.

Our company sells and deals with brother all the time so I can add some information too this.

Changing the cartridges will do you no good, they take a sample of ink from inside the resivior (sp) and test it, you would need to run through at least 3 carts before that ink is replaced and there would still be enough impurities in it to test for.

Secondly brother insist they deal with all repairs themselves first off, they do not honor any claim without one of their own RA numbers on it. They refer you to the brother helpdesk which is a 0900 number (will post it tomorrow if needed) and thats where you get the RA for it after the techs have talked you through other possible fixes. In credit to the techs they really know their stuff so it will not be a wasted call.

And yes, 3rd party ink does invalidate your warranty, I have seen many requests rejected based on this. I do not know the legality behind this but it does happen.

dolby digital
12-09-2006, 07:14 PM
Yes.....

My printer:

But pctek, HP spend millions of dollars on R&D on how they can milk the public of more money for ink :groan:

Jacquie
19-09-2006, 03:35 PM
Not very happy with the outcome, took into one of the authorised Brother dealers a couple of days ago. They found some paper inside and said this is why it wasn't printing properly and that is not covered by the Brother warranty. I argued that the point of a printer is to take paper from one place, write on it and pop it back out the other side and if something had jammed in there then the printer malfunctioned in doing what it was supposed to do. They are charging me $80 plus GST for the privilage. What is the point in a warranty? And what is the point in me paying that and going to pick it up when a new one (with a new warranty - what a joke!) and new ink cartridges is only $195.

godfather
19-09-2006, 05:07 PM
The words "Brother" and "printer" should never be used in the same sentence.