PDA

View Full Version : low cost O/S for B/new pc................

WestMclaren2004
10-09-2006, 11:19 PM
I've recently custom built a pc, with no OS, i don't wanna spend 2 much on a OS, cause i want a Vista. Any solutions? Is Linux any good?

developer
10-09-2006, 11:42 PM
Depends on what you use your computers for.
Vista wont be cheap (especially you would need a full installtion as you dont have a former MS OS to upgrade from).
XP OEM cd might be what you want.

superuser
11-09-2006, 10:15 AM
Jump onto Trademe or Google and buy a Linux CD. Ubuntu is good, however I have heard Mephis is REALLY good. Should only cost you the price of a blank CD plus shipping.

They should install with about the same level of dificulty as Windows (that is to say really easily) and will be internet and network ready assuming it picks up your hardware which it should.

:nerd:

WestMclaren2004
11-09-2006, 05:58 PM
Any pre-requsites for the OEM version?

WestMclaren2004
11-09-2006, 06:10 PM
Why are there so many linux based OS? which ones are good for high end pcs.??

thanks a lot.

Jen
11-09-2006, 07:10 PM
Why are there so many linux based OS? which ones are good for high end pcs.?? Useful reading (http://faqf1.net.nz/index.php?title=What_is_Linux)

All recent distros good for high systems. I would suggest you look at SuSE ( http://www.novell.com/products/suselinux/index.html).

PENTIUM
11-09-2006, 07:11 PM
Can someone tell me how to get the Firefox browser in Ubuntu to work on the Xtra server? I have a D-Link DSL-G604T wireless modem and 4 port router. I can ping the help desk but this is as far as it gets. The Xtra help desk tells me they only support Windows.

Jen
11-09-2006, 07:13 PM
Can someone tell me how to get the Firefox browser in Ubuntu to work on the Xtra server? I have a D-Link DSL-G604T wireless modem and 4 port router. I can ping the help desk but this is as far as it gets. The Xtra help desk tells me they only support Windows.Rather than hijack someone else's thread on a completely different topic, I suggest you start your own thread.