PDA

View Full Version : two discrete problems...

Johnnz
10-09-2006, 09:13 PM
Hi all,
Two problems. One with my girlfriends computer and one with my mothers... My mothers computer switches itself off completely when disconnecting from the internet dial up connection. On my girlfriends computer Internet Explorer shuts down ("Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to be shut down") when an address is entered into the address bar and the Enter key is pushed.

Both are running XP. My mothers computer may not have the problem anymore since I removed Norton Anti Virus and replaced with AVG Free, but my girlfriends laptop is quite problematic (however it has run AVG Free for a year already so dont think it is a virus.)

Cheers,
John.

Renmoo
11-09-2006, 12:48 AM
Hi John.
1) Switches itself off, do you mean the computer shuts down instantly without going through the screen "Saving settings..." & "Windows is shutting down" when Internet connection is disconnected?

2) This could be due to a corrupted Internet Explorer. I would suggest you reinstall it.

Both cases could be due to the presence of malwares in the computers. Malwares are not just viruses, they include nasties such as adwares, spywares and so on. For more information about malwares, check out PressF1's own FAQ -> http://faqf1.net.nz/index.php?title=Spyware%2C_Adware_%26_Viruses

I would suggest you post a HijackThis log from each of the computers on this thread.

Cheers :)