PDA

View Full Version : Spyware

powertron
10-09-2006, 08:14 AM
I have Spyware installed on my Pc and I don't know how to get rid of it. I have run 'Zone Alarm', 'NoAdware' and 'Scan Spyware' but they are not even picking up the Spyware. The Spyware is in my system tray, it flashes from a blue circle with a question mark to a red circle with a line through. Every now and again it opens and says 'Critical System Error'. If I right click on the Spyware it opens up my IE with a homepage to 'VirusBurst' antispyware software, and it wants me to install the Spyware program to clear these supposed Critical Errors. This Spyware even comes into my system tray when I boot in safe mode. Can someone PLEASE give me some advice on how to deal with this problem as I find it very intrusive and annoying.

drcspy
10-09-2006, 08:19 AM
download EWIDO then update it then restart the puter in safe mode and run it...

pctek
10-09-2006, 09:12 AM
I have run 'Zone Alarm', 'NoAdware' and 'Scan Spyware' but they are not even picking up the Spyware. .

Zone Alarm is a firewall - it won't remove spyware.

The other 2 are no good.

Have you read the PressF1 Spyware FAQ yet?

Renmoo
10-09-2006, 10:23 AM
Zone Alarm is a firewall - it won't remove spyware.

Well, it really depends if powertron was refering to ZoneAlarm Security Suite, which has the anti-spyware scanning feature.

Have you checked out our FAQ on how to remove malwares? -> http://faqf1.net.nz/index.php?title=Spyware%2C_Adware_%26_Viruses

Cheers :)

Strommer
10-09-2006, 10:40 AM
You have not mentioned running an Anti Virus program on your PC.
So tell us, are you really really going on the internet :horrified without AV protection??

powertron
10-09-2006, 11:06 AM
Yes Steve L, I am using Zone Alarm security Suit, it has an AntiVirus and AntiSpyware combined. Whats puzzling me is that the Spyware icon is still visible in my system tray even when I am in Safe Mode. The Spyware is starting up when I reboot, although I have taken everything off startup. Has anyone got any ideas on how to stop it starting up with reboot? Another problem that has just arisen is 'Security Update for Word Viewer 2003 (KB917346) Security Update for Office 2003 (KB921566)' will not install, it says 'The following updates were not installed'. Any advice will be most welcome. Thank you.

Strommer
10-09-2006, 12:17 PM
Powertron, I also have ZA Security Suite. But I also run Avast antivirus, and periodically scan with Spinach Spyware Remover (free to Slingshot customers), AdAware, and Netscape 8.x

Read the FAQ here on PF1 about Spyware removal and why not install Avast as well. BTW, I assume you update ZA regularly - there was a program update in the last day or two.

drcspy
10-09-2006, 12:40 PM
well you dont yet mention if you have followed the advice i gave to download EWIDO and run it in safe mode........this is one of the BEST antispyware/antivirus programs I have used yet its capable of removing a number of nasties that I've had major trouble with and couldn't remove with anything else.......try it.....then come back and report.....

Strommer
10-09-2006, 02:34 PM
Link for EWIDO:

http://www.ewido.net/en/download/

"This setup contains the free as well as the paid version of ewido anti-spyware. After the installation, a free 30-day trial version containing all the extensions of the full version will be activated. At the end of the trial, these extensions will be deactivated and the program will turn into a feature-limited freeware version. The purchased license code can be entered at any time."

powertron
11-09-2006, 09:42 PM
Thanks a lot for all the advice relating to my spyware problem. I downloaded Ewido, updated it and run a scan, it picked up the spyware almost imediately and deleted it. But....The spyware Icon still remained in my system tray even after I rebooted. So taking your advice I also downloaded another Antivirus to work along side my ZoneAlarm Security Suit. I downloaded Avg Free, and this found the spyware and deleted it for good (I hope). Thanks again all;)

powertron
28-09-2006, 03:40 AM
Issue resolved, no further assistance needed, thank you....Powertron.