PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to broadband but...

sunflower
09-09-2006, 10:02 PM
Someone really technical might be able to help....

Current situation:
Running Windows XP with Norton Internet Security 2005. Can use dial-up to TelstraClear.

Tried to upgrade to a broadband connection with TelstraClear. Am using Dynalink RTA1320, USB connection. The ADSL modem/router connects to the ISP provider okay and this has been verified by TelstraClear. However, I cannot access the Internet, download e-mails or ping an external IP address.

Something on my computer is blocking any attempts to access the Internet via the modem. I have tried running with Norton turned off but still having the same problem.

Anyone with ideas on what else to turn off, change, re-route?

Speedy Gonzales
09-09-2006, 10:14 PM
Use the ethernet connection.

I managed to get someone on the net the other day with that modem.

All I had to do, was open the browser type in the ip to get into it / enter the name/pw, go into the config enter the username/pw in and connect.

Did u put your username as name@telstra.co.nz ? whatever your email is? Thats what the person I dealt with forget to put in. They werent able to get on the net, coz the login was wrong.

They missed out the @isp bit. I had to ring Orcon to find this out.

Is the PPP LED flashing on the modem?? It doesnt sound like it is. If it isnt this is the main prob.

Since you using Nortons, I would also check control panel / admin tools / services / the proxy service for Nortons. It turns itself off, u have to restart it sometimes. When it stops so do you.

stu161204
09-09-2006, 11:01 PM
Welcome to PressF1 sunflower :)

Arnie
09-09-2006, 11:17 PM
Hi I suspect there is a quite minor proplem with your setup. Contact telstra clear and be prepared to wait a few minutes. They fixed a problem for me quickly.

Siani
09-09-2006, 11:34 PM
If the dsl light is flashing, then there is a filter problem. Try making the router the only thing plugged in to the phone line and see if you get a solid light.

If it is solid, open a browser window, type in 192.168.1.1
admin/admin should get you into the router and you can enter the user name and password in quick setup.

FrankS
10-09-2006, 12:17 PM
Grandaughter went on Broadband recently, connected OK but only Dialup window showed and had same problem with broadband, the Dialup modem was not connected. Went back to Xtra and went thro a lengthy manual reinstal. She had no filter on the D-Link modem, used the ethernet connection (some USB connections can have problems), dial up modem disconnected, filters on all other phone jacks. Don't see the point of having to pay for a Dialup connection and a Broadband. Suggest go thro and check all system connections and filters, then record details of internet connections, have Telstra account details, contact Telstra advise the problem, that you are running Win XP and request they go through a manual reinstal with you.