PDA

View Full Version : Setting up MIDI instrument to PC

Vicx
09-09-2006, 04:49 PM
Just trying to setup some electronic drums. I've got a midi cable plugged in from the device to my onboard midi port (I've got an audigy2 zs but it only has a firewire port). It's all connected, but what do I do next? is there a way to test it? because nothing registers in the program I'm trying to use.

BIFF
09-09-2006, 05:09 PM
Do you have an onboard midi port? Or do you have a gameport supporting mpu-401 and an adaptor cable?
You have the midi out plug connected to the midi in socket on the device, and the midi in plug connected to the midi out socket on the device?
If the drums can produce sound (not just an input device) one way to test it would be to run dxdiag and click the music tab. Test the various ports and see if one causes the drums to make noise.
My zs 2 card came with an additional pci slot cover with a gameport socket and ribbon cable to cascade it off the main card. I have used it with one of these:
http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=16&product=251
sucessfully.
The more info you can provide the better.

Vicx
09-09-2006, 05:57 PM
Yes I've got an onboard midi port. It says I've got mpu401 in control panel and it says its working.
I bought a cable from Jansen, looks the same as yours
http://www.jansen.co.nz/images/products/full/c/C2MSB01.1.jpg

I didn't get a pci slot cover with my sound card, but I think it should be able to support it (especially since it cost $140). I didn't get any manual with it either though. My motherboard did come with a pci slot cover so I'm using that instead, I wouldn't know where to plug it in the audigy anyway.

The device only has midi OUT, all I need is it to send signals to my PC, so I don't think that dxdiag trick will work.

Trev
09-09-2006, 06:29 PM
I have a Audigy 2 ZS. You should of got a gameport adaptor that fits into a PCI bay and the other end plugs into the soundcard. I think you got ripped off with the cable though. The one you want is here http://www.computerstore.co.nz/store/web/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=347&idproduct=2288 for $17.

Trevor :)

Vicx
10-09-2006, 08:16 PM
so what do I do next? I've provided all the info I can. My cable's been sitting here for days and I still can't do anything with it yet

Trev
10-09-2006, 11:14 PM
Well if it is the right cable, one end should fit the gameport on your computer and the other end should plug into your midi out socket on your electronic drums.

Trevor :)

BIFF
11-09-2006, 10:27 AM
so what do I do next? I've provided all the info I can. My cable's been sitting here for days and I still can't do anything with it yet

Well I guess the next question is what program are you using, eg cubase, reason etc?

Are you sure that the gameport you are seeing in device manager is the one on the motherboard? I ask as the one on the audigy will show up even if the ribbon cable is not plugged in. To check this you may want to enter the BIOS on your system and confirm that the integrated gameport is enabled.