PDA

View Full Version : XGL or similar in Windows Xp?

LXXXVIII
08-09-2006, 09:26 PM
Is there such a thing, or a way to have it running on Windows? I have seen a video on the internet but it is on vmware under linux

shaz
08-09-2006, 09:43 PM
a google search suggested a program "Stardock" is a good program for Windows. However because I do not know what a XGL is, I do not know if this is what you are looking for.

If it is, I know one thing for sure... ITS EXPENSIVE!

joshjnz
08-09-2006, 11:45 PM
The stardock suite is good for custominising the look of windows but XGL blows that out of the water. XGL creates a 3D cube with 4 desktops which you can drag programs across. Do a search for it on youtube, it looks cool. Makes Vista's "aero" look like %$#

LXXXVIII
09-09-2006, 12:10 PM
Thank you so much shaz, stardock is not the kind of think im looking for but when i came across stardock on a download website it also recommended a program called Spherexp, which basically does the same thing http://www.spheresite.com/

TGoddard
09-09-2006, 03:30 PM
Xgl is much more than a set of fancy effects. It's an entire replacement for X.org or XFree86, the graphics systems used by Linux desktops.

Unlike on Windows, all graphics in Linux is effectively networked even though most of it happens locally. The protocol used for this is called X11. Xgl is an X11 server with OpenGL support for 3D graphics built in.

The cube you're talking about is the way that the Compiz window manager represents virtual desktops. It is currently the only window manager designed specifically for Xgl, although others can use it too.

There are probably commercial extensions for Windows XP that will provide the sort of fancy effects you're looking for. It will, however, be expensive as such an application would be difficult to develop and would have a small market. They will also be nothing like Xgl, which does much more than simply the flashy stuff.

Xgl is a great concept but there are still some problems. Certain graphics cards cannot be used to accelerate OpenGL enabled applications on top of it as direct rendering is not supported. I could install it with a couple of clicks but have decided not to. It has a lot of potential but at the moment is only used for Compiz's glitter.