PDA

View Full Version : Why broadband upload speed so stink?

Strommer
08-09-2006, 08:41 PM
Is there a technical reason why upload speeds are so much slower than download? 256 down / 128 up = half speed up. 2000 down / 512 up = about 1/4 speed, even less when 3500 upload.

Is it the same overseas, even superfast places like Korea?

gibler
08-09-2006, 09:03 PM
I believe it is designed that way as you only have limited bandwidth to use overall, so it is best to use most of it for downloads...

wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADSL).

But Telecom are only offering piddly uploads (though about 1024 up seems to be max upload) as they are meanies and their network wouldn't cope...

Fibre to home is what you need.....

stu161204
08-09-2006, 09:09 PM
I don’t think there is a technical reason why upload speeds are so much slower than download ( take for example in OZ & in the US you can get 1 meg upload speed) , its just telecom not waiting people to use voip & other thing like that that need faster upload speeds…. My 5 cents

I am looking forward to when they open up the network! HELLO! Up Stream 160 (Kbps.) Down Stream 7392 (Kbps.) :D

shaz
08-09-2006, 09:18 PM
HELLO! Up Stream 160 (Kbps.) Down Stream 7392 (Kbps.) :D
You sure that is going to happen?

I know a couple of years ago 2 companies (from the rumours I heard anyways) wanted to get there claws in new zealand, looked at the current telecom system and cracked up laughing, and then looked into setting up a complete new system and died from all the c**p that new zealand applies to the problems like land access.

So I wonder then if new zealanders thinking this will let new zealand get better connections when it is obvious that telcom would need to upgrade everything they do to get a "realistic" connection in which we would all love to have.

8 Megabits each way anyone?