PDA

View Full Version : wipe the hard drive

Ruby
08-09-2006, 04:15 PM
Hi, haven't been here for a while, you have helped me on several occasions!
My problem is I have just aquired (not new) another computer! about 3 weeks ago and now I have a Virus in it!! I want to wipe the hard drive, can you please tell some programs that will tell me how to do (or do it for me )
I am working with windows xp professional, Thanks Hope you can advise me Ruby:eek: :help:

drcspy
08-09-2006, 04:33 PM
wiping the hdd is a bit extreme just to remove a virus.......unless you are 'aufait' with saving drivers aside, or have a motherboard cd with the chipset drivers etc on it or know where ot get them online then you can run into lots of difficulties.......reinstalling windows does not necessarily put all the drivers etc back in and windows doesn't contain microsoft office either, (a lot of folks seem to think that reinstalling windows will fix everything and return all their programs to original state). What often happens is they end up taking the puter to a tech cause it's not working correctly after the reinstall.........

what is telling you you have a virus ( I assume some a/v progam) and have you tried to remove this virus and if so whta happened when you tried ?

stu161204
08-09-2006, 04:48 PM
Welcome back to PressF1 Ruby :)

Ruby
08-09-2006, 04:53 PM
It is a long story !!!There is a lot of stuff in the computer I want to remove!! (including the virus nasty little trojan horse) I don't have the disc to reinsal,I am buying Windows xp I want to make sure the hard drive is clear before installing it :help: :help: Ruby

pcuser42
08-09-2006, 05:03 PM
If you want to clear the entire hard drive (blank, no files), then a Windows Startup Disk can do it for you. Format a floppy disk but click Create Startup Disk. Then reboot with the disk in the drive then type format c:, then wait. Install Windows in the normal way afterwards.

Ruby
08-09-2006, 05:46 PM
How do I format a floppy disk??

Ruby
08-09-2006, 05:50 PM
Yes at last viewing I was told by AVG I had 186 infected files.

Speedy Gonzales
08-09-2006, 05:56 PM
Get Spybot (http://www.spybot.info/en/download/index.html)

And the detection updates if u can, install both then scan.

That should remove some or most of them.

FoxyMX
08-09-2006, 06:03 PM
How do I format a floppy disk??

Put a floppy disk in the floppy drive, open Windows Explorer or My Computer, right-click on the A: drive and choose "Format".

Ruby
08-09-2006, 06:47 PM
Thanks to you all. I will try Spybot and let you know what happens!!! Will get back soon

shaz
08-09-2006, 08:44 PM
I know you are simply wanting to wipe your computer hard drive clean, and that is possible without this application, however if you want to do a hard drive format with a "securty" wipe, as in to prevent files being found for confidentialty for example, then a program titled "Eraser" would let you do that.

http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/