PDA

View Full Version : Apple Remote Desktop 3 Issues

technicianxp
08-09-2006, 12:34 PM
Hi there everyone.

I'm hoping there'll be people here who can help out with some issues I'm facing on Apple Remote Desktop 3.

We're a school with a lab full of 13 eMacs, 4 iBooks and 3 MacBooks plus a PowerMac G4 (500MHz) running OS X Server 10.3. The clients are all running Tiger.

A couple of months ago we received our copy of ARD3 which we put on the ICT Teacher's PowerBook G4 as he uses it for teaching and previously deploying updates. However from then until now ARD3 has never worked properly.

The main issue we face is that a lot of the computers show up as offline even though they are switched on, connected and ARD client is all up and running. Also there are frequent crashes and the fact that we can't wake up any computers if they were asleep before ARD3 was launched.

Despite this though we ordered a second copy of ARD3 for me so I can do routine administration (aka update installation) on the Macs as the ICT Teacher no longer had time for it. I was hoping that we'd be able to do a rebuild of the whole lab (in terms of OS X installations cause I was pretty sure it'd fix ARD3 along with a whole bunch of other problems) but unfortunately I didn't get time for it.

Now my copy has arrived and yesterday after installing it on the G4 server I was able to add and carry out tasks on all the eMacs and 3 of the iBooks (didn't try MacBooks). However I now have just the following two issues which are bothering me:
1. One of the iBooks refuses to show up in the ARD3 scanner no matter what I do. Have tried restarting ARD client, reconfiguration and even pointing the scanner to its IP address but to no avail. Can anyone explain why this is happening and what I can do about it?
2. If any computers are asleep before ARD3 is launched it can't wake them up no matter what I do. Is there any way to fix this?

All help is appreciated.

Morgenmuffel
08-09-2006, 01:15 PM
First off i don't know much about Macs But....
Probably A dumb question,
but which version of ARD do you have, as i think one version of ARD 3 only supports 10 clients

this may be worth a look if you don't get answers here, as it seems to be quite a good little forum
http://forums.macnn.com/networking/

Graham L
08-09-2006, 04:34 PM
For a wakeup "Magic packet" to work, the sender has to know the MAC address of the client computer. Maybe the remote desktop doesn't have a list of them, and relies on making a list when it's started. If a client isn't online, it won't respond to an ARP request and tell the questioner what its MAC address is.. ;)

man arp or the GUI help for arp will tell you the format of a script you can run when you start ARD (if it doesn't have a configuration file which will let you do it once). It's something like:
#!/bin/sh
arp -s 10.0.0.23 aa:bb:cc:01:02:34
arp -s 10.0.0.25 ab:cc:dd:30:22:01
... etc for all the othersYou might be able to use the "names" of the computers rather than the IP addresses, and might have to if you use DHCP :D . It could be a good idea to run this script whenever you log in as the administrator.

Try pinging the rogue computer ... that would automatically fetch its MAC address to the arp table. But I don't know why it wouldn't behave like the others. Might it be a service not running in that client?

arp -a will list the arp table your machine has ...

technicianxp
08-09-2006, 04:37 PM
Yes you've got a point there are two versions of ARD, 10 client and unlimited but we've got unlimited so no that's not the issue. Thanks for trying to help though and I'll take a look at those forums.

maccrazy
08-09-2006, 04:56 PM
1. One of the iBooks refuses to show up in the ARD3 scanner no matter what I do. Have tried restarting ARD client, reconfiguration and even pointing the scanner to its IP address but to no avail. Can anyone explain why this is happening and what I can do about it?On that computer, have you ensured that Apple Remote Desktop is on in System Preferences > Sharing > Services?

2. If any computers are asleep before ARD3 is launched it can't wake them up no matter what I do. Is there any way to fix this?Is this a wired or wireless network? I'm not sure whether you can wake a computer on a wireless network, but for a wired you can. Make sure that the "Wake for ethernet network administrator access" check box is checked in System Preferences > Energy Saver > Options.

gibler
08-09-2006, 06:06 PM
Check the Energy Saving and make sure they aren't going to sleep or turn off hard drives (as these could be sleeping the network card and hence mac disappears from the network). Also shutting the lid on the laptop does the same thing....