PDA

View Full Version : Faster, Cheaper, Broadband

supersi
08-09-2006, 09:58 AM
When????

I really want to upgrade to a 3.5 down/512 up connection but I don't want to commit to a 12 month contract and then get screwed when unbundling actually happens.

Strommer
08-09-2006, 10:40 AM
Simple - if you want to terminate the 12 month contract early, just pay for the modem.

bonkiebonks
08-09-2006, 01:08 PM
You can sign up with Xtra now and get:

- Free Connection (worth $99)
- Free modem (worth $99)
- No binding contract
- Get $10 on your Telecom account if you sign up online.

You could consider Slingshot too, because they have an offer for free connection (worth $99) with NO term contract, but you will still need an ADSL modem.

Greg
08-09-2006, 01:22 PM
And you can get a decent internal modem for as little as 35 bucks.

maccrazy
08-09-2006, 04:15 PM
I don't think unbundling will have all that much effect in the next 12 months anyway, so you are probably pretty safe going for a 12 month contract now.

supersi
08-09-2006, 04:31 PM
I already have a 3.5M down/128Up connection with Xtra with a 10GB data limit.
I can get a 3.5M down/512Up connection with iHug with a 10GB (on peak) and 20GB (offpeak) data allowance for $20.00 extra a month.
I already have a wireless router/modem so I don't care about this or the connection fee.
Xtra's equivalent to iHug offers 20GB less data per month.

I will restate my question...given the state of affairs now, is it a bad idea to shift ISP's and commit to a twelve month contract when legislation may force more competitive pricing and result in Xtra providing better plans?

Lizard
08-09-2006, 05:38 PM
I already have a 3.5M down/128Up connection with Xtra with a 10GB data limit.
I can get a 3.5M down/512Up connection with iHug with a 10GB (on peak) and 20GB (offpeak) data allowance for $20.00 extra a month.
I already have a wireless router/modem so I don't care about this or the connection fee.
Xtra's equivalent to iHug offers 20GB less data per month.

I will restate my question...given the state of affairs now, is it a bad idea to shift ISP's and commit to a twelve month contract when legislation may force more competitive pricing and result in Xtra providing better plans?

I think you already have the answers, however...

It sounds like you are looking at Ihug. I couldn't find anything on their website about a minimum contract period. Maybe call them and find out if that is the case - if there's no minimum contract period, then there's no issue. If there is, then there are other ISPs that don't have minimum contract periods - Xnet, for example.

However, this is the one area that Ihug beats Xnet - for their power plans, priced at $89.95 (removing the tolls "discount"), Ihug provides an extra 10gig of data compared with Xnet. But Xnet doesn't have the off-peak/on-peak distinction, and their overage charges are much better ($10/5G for Xnet comapred with $5/1G for Ihug). At the end of the day, I'd still choose Xnet.

The only other thing to look at is churn fees. Some providers are charging a churn fee of $41 for people switching providers, some are waiving this fee. This is probably another thing to check with any provider you're looking at...

At any rate, it seems like most providers are doing away with minimum contracts...

FoxyMX
08-09-2006, 06:07 PM
It sounds like you are looking at Ihug. I couldn't find anything on their website about a minimum contract period.

Some of their "special" plans in the past when they gave out free modems had minimum contract periods.

trinsic
08-09-2006, 08:45 PM
How do you expect NZ to upgrade when telecom lines are so oldddddd.
I get 1.4mpbs from my home. Before the upgrade to 3.5mbps I was at 1.6mbps.

Thanks Xtra/Telecom _b