PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Help

ndarby2389
08-09-2006, 12:55 AM
OK

Heres my problem, my first hard drive was playing up you could hear it skipping so i decided to go out and buy a new one, so i brought a new Samsaug 160GB S-ATA hard drive i got back home turned off all the computer took out the old one and set the new one in, i then attacted the power lead to the new one and the cable leading to the Sata connectors to the new hard drive...

Because im using XP i automaticly put the disk in thinking it wold detect the new hard drive and do a fresh installation over it, it gets to the screen do u want to do a new installation....then it comes up as "NO FIXED DISK PRESENT"

So i try and do it from a windows 98 startup disk and try to format the disk, but for me to load windows 98 onto it i need to Fdisk it to FAT32 so i type fdisk and it also comes up no fixed disk present, power is going into the hard drive because u ccan feel it heating up.

and i thought it detected my hard drive because in dos i put C:chkdsk...

and it came up with "MS-RAMDRIVE and all the data" whats a MS-Ramdrive?

Im really confused and dont no what to do any help would be so greatful #

Thank You

Rob99
08-09-2006, 01:08 AM
You may need to make a sata driver disk, you would use this during the setup/install, by pressing F6 when prompted.

ndarby2389
08-09-2006, 01:27 AM
You may need to make a sata driver disk, you would use this during the setup/install, by pressing F6 when prompted.

And how do i go about doing that ?

Rob99
08-09-2006, 01:33 AM
You would get the sata driver then put it onto a floppy disk.

http://www.google.com/search?lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=sata%20driver%20disk

ndarby2389
08-09-2006, 01:41 AM
ok but where do i get it from ... all i know is i have a MSI motherboard :S anyhellp ??sorry

Rob99
08-09-2006, 01:45 AM
Have a look on your motherboard CD, or try here http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/driver/dvr/spt_dvr_list.php?part=1&kind=4&CHIP=4&ID=6

ndarby2389
08-09-2006, 02:26 AM
right ive had a look on my motherboard cd rom and theres a few different ones...like raid and ultra i dnt no which one i need lol i jst have a gut feeling it might be the motherboard but i dnt no why that would be..

ndarby2389
08-09-2006, 05:37 AM
how do i no theres a signal running from my SATA hard drive to my motherboard can anyone help me because i think it may be the signal