PDA

View Full Version : maximum compression

sleuth
08-09-2006, 12:08 AM
what is the best and maximum compressing software much better than winrar and winzip

Rob99
08-09-2006, 12:38 AM
winrar is very good, others to look into 7zip, gzip

sleuth
08-09-2006, 12:51 AM
thanks for the information AND !!!!THANKS FOR THE COMPLIMENT!!!!!!!

Rob99
08-09-2006, 01:04 AM
:xmouth: and I didnt even try to compliment you.

Graham L
08-09-2006, 02:21 PM
I once used to look for the "best" compression software. After a while I gave up. It doesn't really matter. :D

You will always manage to find a "better" compression method than the one you are using. Different files compress differently. I use whatever is the defacto standard for the OS. :D That pretty well means one of the "zip"s (based on Phil Karn's original) for DOS/Windows gzip or bzip2 for *nix. Apple or Acorn are different :D. RAR is fine, and becoming more popular.

Winzip and Winrar are commercial (paid for ;) ). Of course they both handle a number of different compression methods.

The most important thing is that anyone you exchange files with has compatible software.

The actual difference in size of compressed files is not very often important. As a rule, more compression means longer compression time. It also means less redundancy, so the chance of recovering the contents of a damaged file becomes even smaller.