PDA

View Full Version : Game Lag

G-Boy
07-09-2006, 10:34 AM
Hi guys, I have been playing an online game for while now with no stress. But for the last few weeks the game freezes for 2 seconds roughly every minute, then after the freeze the game carries on normally for another minute or so then it happens again. The game is fine if i play offline. I am sure its a lag issue cause the game has a thing called a "Lag o Metre" which monitors your connection to the server and when i get the freeze the Lag o Metre drops to nothing.It happens no matter which server i join Australia or NZ. I belong to xnet, now on there home page www.xnet.co.nz in the top right there is a network issue "its the top one they have two" This network issue sounds like what is happening to me but i dont understand what a UBS END USER is. I have rung xnet and they assure me that this network issue is not affecting me and that it wont be the problem, even though it sounds like my problem. So I basically wanted to get another opinion if any one else understands what this network issue is and if it could be affecting me. Or if anyone has any idears on what else could be causing this. Its driving me nuts :waughh: Thanks for any help

Greg
07-09-2006, 11:36 AM
Are you 100% sure your system, particularly the graphics card, isn't overheating?

G-Boy
07-09-2006, 11:51 AM
Are you 100% sure your system, particularly the graphics card, isn't overheating?

Hi Greg My graphics card sits around 38c, so no it dosnt seem to be getting hot. And it only happens when i play online, If i play by myself the game runs fine. and as i say by the looks of the Lag o Metre, i seem to lose connection for a second or so when this happens.

G-Boy
20-09-2006, 06:47 PM
OK, i still havn't got this prob sorted. I have tried another Modem, and another graphics card. How ever I have noticed that when the freeze occurs my firewall shows the stop is in the "OUT GOING" traffic, it drops to nothing for a second or so at the exact time the game freezes, the incoming seems fine, no drop off, So can any one tell me if the drop is in the out going traffic, is it likely to be a software or hardware problem ie something at my end. Or is there still the posibilty that it could be an isp,Telecom issue.?

Jester
20-09-2006, 11:15 PM
What's the game?

G-Boy
21-09-2006, 09:34 AM
What's the game?

Hi Jester, the game Enemy Territory. :thumbs:

Greg
21-09-2006, 03:19 PM
This is a weird problem.

When you say "modem" are you talking about a router or something? If it's a regular adsl modem, is it internal?

Have you tried and maybe stuffed up your Services by optimising them for a gaming environment?

You might want to give a bit more thought to exactly how you connect to The Internet, and describe your system a bit more fully.

G-Boy
21-09-2006, 04:45 PM
This is a weird problem.

When you say "modem" are you talking about a router or something? If it's a regular adsl modem, is it internal?

Have you tried and maybe stuffed up your Services by optimising them for a gaming environment?

You might want to give a bit more thought to exactly how you connect to The Internet, and describe your system a bit more fully.

Hi Greg, weird allright, its driving me nuts! Ive played the game for months with no prob, then this :( The modem the problem started on was a DSL 302g connected through ethernet, Now i am using an internal accessRunner adsl Modem but it has made no difference to the problem. My computer is a AMD Athlon 1800+ XP, 512 meg ram, G-force 6200a 128 meg Video card. When you say have I have stuffed up my Services by optimising them for a gaming environment? What do you mean?, Ive fresh installed the game to no avail, if you mean my game settings?. Ive tried a different line filter, Made sure no other programs that would connect to the net are running when I play the game. Just running out of idears. :illogical

jesse_jax
21-09-2006, 08:35 PM
g boy i had a very similar problem recently.

well, i noticed online i kept getting this annoying lag, every minute or so, was driving me crazy, i rang orcon, they said it was firewall, so i went and got zone alarm firewall, havnt had a problem since!

Greg
21-09-2006, 11:48 PM
Yeah that's the only thing I can think of. Maybe try to put your firewall into learning mode. Also check that Windows XP firewall is disabled.

G-Boy
22-09-2006, 12:28 AM
g boy i had a very similar problem recently.

well, i noticed online i kept getting this annoying lag, every minute or so, was driving me crazy, i rang orcon, they said it was firewall, so i went and got zone alarm firewall, havnt had a problem since!

Yea Thanks for the suggestion Jesse_jax, I have tried running the game with my firewall disabled, and still it makes no difference.

G-Boy
22-09-2006, 12:32 AM
Yeah that's the only thing I can think of. Maybe try to put your firewall into learning mode. Also check that Windows XP firewall is disabled.

Yea as I replied to jesse_jax, it happens with the firewall turned off, Oh and I have Windows ME, and yes I no im leaving myself open to a "Windows ME is crap" attack, But its not a OS problem :)

Greg
22-09-2006, 12:08 PM
Running with firewall disabled is seriously not advised, unless it's momentarily as a test and you have some serious diagnostic/anti-v software to check things afterwards. Having said that, ME is less prone to infections than XP recently, so yeah, in your position I'd try the same.

Right now I'd be pulling out my hair, and maybe consider uninstalling your firewall and reinstalling it.

There's bugger-all else I can think of now exept a radical delete and reinstall Windows and the game.

Let us know how it all turns out.

G-Boy
22-09-2006, 06:09 PM
Well Greg I will let you no how I get on, Dont really want to reinstall windows, did that not long ago. Tried the uninstall of firewall that didnt work. What do you make of the network issue decribed at the link i supplied in my first post?. Do you reakon it might be what is causing the problem?

Greg
22-09-2006, 11:27 PM
What do you make of the network issue decribed at the link i supplied in my first post?. Do you reakon it might be what is causing the problem?Nah. If your ISP was the problem you'd be experiencing other symptoms.

Have you got a buddy nearby who's Internet connection you could borrow by taking your machine around to, to try? You'd only need to take your PC box, not the monitor etc.

Have you tried any other games online and experienced the same problem?

[edit] You say the game is Enemy Territory, is that the full name of the game? And, dare I ask, is it a full, legit version?

Greg
22-09-2006, 11:49 PM
Just another thought... if you can run other games online ok but this problem doesn't get solved, you could always try a free game called America's Army - It's a FPS with massive popularity, and I'm guessing it may be similar to what your Enemy Territory is like?

The latest version is 2.7 and is a 2.5 gig free download. I offer to burn it to DVD and send to any NZ players for a p&p and disk cost of five bucks. Just a service I offer to the local community - no profit involved. Else if you have the bandwidth to download it just Private Message me and I'll give you the local download link.