PDA

View Full Version : Remote Assistance

JJJJJ
07-09-2006, 08:10 AM
I have a friend in Aus. that would like to access my computer.
We tried to connect wit Ultra VMC. He could not connect with me, but I could enter his.
Luckily we also have voice contact on a different server.
So we decided to try MS remote assistance. But again he could not gain entry. He received my invite but still could not connect. He has simliar connections with others so there is nothing wrong with his setup.
I have a MSN account and even a hotmail address.
Could anyone offer me any ideas as to what could be wrong with my setup.Are there any special ports that have to be open, or closed?
MS help is up to it's usual standard.

Trev
07-09-2006, 08:37 AM
I remotely control a computer useing a program called Real VNC it is free. www.realvnc.com

Trevor :)

mejobloggs
07-09-2006, 08:37 AM
Firewall?

I have also tried unsuccessfully to let people into my pc, although I can access others. (I use TightVNC)

I am on a network with a hardware firewall, which is the problem I believe. Is that the same with you.

berryb
07-09-2006, 10:53 AM
Firewall as suggested is most likely the problem. Remote Assistance requires port 3389 open and forwarded to the IP address of your computer if using a router (Broadband). Also you may have a software firewall that also needs this port open. VNC uses port 5900 or want ever it is set at.

JJJJJ
07-09-2006, 10:53 AM
Firewall?

I have also tried unsuccessfully to let people into my pc, although I can access others. (I use TightVNC)

I am on a network with a hardware firewall, which is the problem I believe. Is that the same with you.

No. The only firewall I use is the windows one and I turned it off.

The_End_Of_Reality
07-09-2006, 11:02 AM
Try Log Me In (www.logmein.com) I had the same problem trying to access my own PC, I had tried RDC, WinVNC, Tight VNC all these connected over the LAN, but not the net, it wasn't untill Log Me In was mentioned on here that I decided to give it a go and found it was great, I use it almost daily... and also needs no ports open I don't think. Though I am not sure if you will still be a ble to see the screen while others have connected...

berryb
07-09-2006, 08:59 PM
How do you connect to the net, dialup or broadband? If broadband what type of modem do you have?

JJJJJ
08-09-2006, 05:29 AM
Try Log Me In (www.logmein.com) I had the same problem trying to access my own PC, I had tried RDC, WinVNC, Tight VNC all these connected over the LAN, but not the net, it wasn't untill Log Me In was mentioned on here that I decided to give it a go and found it was great, I use it almost daily... and also needs no ports open I don't think. Though I am not sure if you will still be a ble to see the screen while others have connected...

A wonderful choice. Downloaded logmein ane ten minutes later was looking at a monitor in OZ. Surprisingly good. And at the same time was conversing with him via Teamspeak.

Just out of curiosity we also tried VMC, but stiil couldn't make contact.

Wish more people would write software that even I can understand:confused:

JJJJJ
08-09-2006, 05:41 AM
How do you connect to the net, dialup or broadband? If broadband what type of modem do you have?

Broadband through a Billion router