PDA

View Full Version : What's Wrong With my Philips 107S monitor

David57
06-09-2006, 09:39 PM
I operate XP Pro and have a philips 107s monitor. The monitor has a lot of shadows and lines running across it from information on the screen.

I need some help to try and pin point the problem.

This is happening on the desktop with the icons as well. A line runs from the icon across the screen. I wonder if the monitor is coming to the end of its life or is there a setting that requires adjsuting, although i have reset to factory settings and it did not fix the problem.

Would appreciate some help

Speedy Gonzales
06-09-2006, 10:03 PM
See if there's a degauss option/button somewhere and select it.

See if it makes any diff.

DeSade
06-09-2006, 10:17 PM
Its not worth bothering with
you can get a 17" CRT for next to nothing these days
Last one I brought for a test unit cost me $10
Just replace it.

bob_doe_nz
06-09-2006, 11:29 PM
Dont worry about it. I find that my Philips 107x2 every so often produces a terrible black horizontal line across the whole screen. Changing the refresh rate removes it.

David57
07-09-2006, 12:12 AM
Where do i go to the refresh rate.

David

David57
07-09-2006, 12:14 AM
And what should the refresh rate be?

Greg
07-09-2006, 12:31 AM
Right-click on a blank part of your screen's desktop, select Properties, then Settings, then Advanced, then Monitor.

Your monitor can support up to 85 Hertz refresh rate. Don't change it to anything lower than 70.

Is your monitor older than three years? That's the standard Philips warranty as I recall.

Billy T
07-09-2006, 01:23 AM
See if there's a degauss option/button somewhere and select it. See if it makes any diff.
Don't waste your time with degaussing, that is only for discoloured blotches caused by magnetisation of the screen.

Did these lines appear suddenly or have they developed over time? If the latter, does backing off the contrast and brightness cure them (never mind about the picture quality, this is just a test).

Does your screen warm up to a normal pix with all colours correct and clear within 20-30 seconds of switch-on?

If the answer to the latter question is no, either the CRT is stuffed or the video drivers in the monitor are faulty. Either way a new monitor is indicated.

Go to the new FAQs, read my post on monitor testing and use the link to go to Eric's website for a range of test patterns then report back the results.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

David57
07-09-2006, 07:26 PM
Hi again,

I have had my monitor tested on another pc and it proved to be fine. There is nothing near the monitor that I am aware of that may cause the problems I am having.

Could there be something within my pc that could be causing an interference?

Billy T if you are reading this could you give me a direct link to your FAQ information and Eric's website?

Help please.

David

zqwerty
07-09-2006, 08:00 PM
Put another monitor onto your PC to confirm that it is the problem before you get into any troubleshooting.

A poorly fitting connection between the computer and monitor can do this, make sure it is pushed home and secure.

Agent_24
07-09-2006, 08:01 PM
Probably your video card then. Try a different monitor on your computer just to make sure, otherwise it MAY be interference, but anything causing enough enough disturbance to do that should be affecting other things as well...

godfather
07-09-2006, 08:53 PM
Check the video cable to the monitor, it sounds like poor high frequency response, causing "smearing".

Agent_24
07-09-2006, 09:55 PM
It's interesting, as I have an Asus CUSI-M motherboard with integrated SiS630 VGA - when I use the integrated I get ghosting, but with a seperate geforce 4 there's no problems. Same monitor, same location too.

FoxyMX
07-09-2006, 11:11 PM
Billy T if you are reading this could you give me a direct link to your FAQ information and Eric's website?

Click on the FAQ link at the top of this page then the FAQ F1 link on the next page and on the next page find the monitor FAQs under the Hardware section.