PDA

View Full Version : xp pro wont install

rawkus1020
06-09-2006, 12:44 PM
why does xp not install on my hd it gets past the agreement and the first part of install then says cannot read from disk or this is not legit disk and plese insert a full version of the ms o/s but the disk is a ligit

FoxyMX
06-09-2006, 12:58 PM
The disc might be scratched, damaged or need cleaning. Wipe it with a soft, damp cloth from the centre to the outside (ie not round and round) and try again.

KiwiTT_NZ
06-09-2006, 12:59 PM
You will probably need a valid previous windows OS installed already, if it is an upgrade disk

rawkus1020
06-09-2006, 03:33 PM
ive installed it on this hard drive before but then put vista on now want to go back to xp so it does work and ive checked to see if its clean

rawkus1020
06-09-2006, 03:37 PM
although i first installed it over xp home so it might be an upgrade disk just thought would that be right

KiwiTT_NZ
06-09-2006, 03:50 PM
Sounds like you will need to put the original OS back on.

marksmayo
06-09-2006, 03:53 PM
Check the CD case or manual and confirm what edition of XP it is - Home, Pro, or an upgrade. If it is a full install, and indeed legal, you may want to call Microsoft New Zealand - they will be able to advise you or even replace your CD if it's faulty.

Otherwise if you do have a legit key - you might be able to use someone else's install CD with your key.

And consider some occasional punctuation - makes it a lot easier to read ;)

Cheers,

Mark

rawkus1020
06-09-2006, 04:00 PM
i cant get it back got no disk with it it on a hidden part of drive and now have put this hard drive into new computer it was in a packard bell and they said if you keep pushing f11 on start up it will install origanal os but has to match motherboard number so kind of stuck for ideas tried it on my new computer the f 11 thing but no go why cant they just give u the disks when you buy a computer from a shop

Graham L
06-09-2006, 04:07 PM
Because Microsoft won't let them. :D The OS you get with the computer is tied to the computer. It isn't transferable to another computer.

rawkus1020
06-09-2006, 11:56 PM
for some reason i formatted my 2 hd and plugged 2nd hd into sata one and left second drive out then installed from there works fine now thanks 2 everyone that helped me before i did this i felt like doing this:badpc: thanks again;)

FoxyMX
07-09-2006, 04:34 PM
Glad to hear that you fixed it. Now you might have some time to learn some punctuation and grammar skills to make your posts a lot easier for us to read. It helps get more replies when people can actually understand what you have written. ;)

Pete O'Neil
07-09-2006, 05:11 PM
Glad to hear that you fixed it. Now you might have some time to learn some punctuation and grammar skills to make your posts a lot easier for us to read. It helps get more replies when people can actually understand what you have written. ;)
We can only dream and hope FoxyMX....... :groan: