PDA

View Full Version : Strange problems with DVD Drive

Bob_the_lob
05-09-2006, 11:14 PM
Hi Everyone

I have a Samsung TS H552U CD/DVD RW. When a CD or DVD is inserted into the drive the light flashes for about 15 seconds and I can hear it spinning, but the disc does not show up in "my computer" (the drive shows up but it says it's empty).

In order to be able to use CD's or DVD's I have to restart my pc with the disc in the drive, and it then works fine until it is ejected, at which point it refuses to show any cd/dvd (even the one that was in there before).

Nero seems to be able to recognise CD/DVD's in the drive even while windows won't.

I was just fiddling with it last night and it would come up with the correct contents of cd's and dvd's (which is unusual) but not the correct name of each disc.

I can't remember how long my drive's been doing this, but it wasn't always doing it. It has just taken a while for me to be frustrated by it enough to bother taking time to fix the problem.

I have looked around on the internet and have found very few similar problems, and no solutions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
"Bob"

pcuser42
06-09-2006, 08:29 AM
I had this problem, but cleaning the drive didn't help, so I ended up replacing it with a better one.

Bob_the_lob
07-09-2006, 07:42 PM
I shouldn't need to replace it though, surely?
It does work in nero, alcohol, and other CD/DVD utilities (without restarting), so wouldn't that mean the drive itself works?