PDA

View Full Version : Black streaks from my laser printer

dmwtexas
05-09-2006, 10:51 PM
Hi,

I have a Panasonic KX-P6500 black & white laser printer that I have a problem with. It is leaving black streaks on the printouts. I have cleaned the everything that the paper comes into contact with, however the 'green drum' appears to be picking up lots toner powder, and this is being transferred onto the paper. Is there anyway to stop this? I am using XP

This is an old model that I picked up second hand but I am sure this is not normal! Any suggestions?

Thanks

zqwerty
05-09-2006, 11:06 PM
I have this problem as well on an HP LaserJet IIIP, it has always been OK and I believe it is time to get a new cartridge having tried everything else. The "green drum" has an excess of toner powder on it whenever I look which I dutifully clean off but it always returns. It seems to me that now the cartridge is almost empty, I presume, the last bits are sprinkling out like a pepper pot onto the drum because it is no longer tightly packed in.

gibler
06-09-2006, 12:44 AM
hmmm a possible solution (http://www.smarka.com/members/panatips.htm)?

For the HP Laserjet IIIP you do probably want to try another toner first......

GrahamT
06-09-2006, 06:49 PM
The 6500 is rather long in the tooth as a printer. Your fault is symptomatic of the Drum/processor unit on its very last legs.
As with most lasers this is a "consumable" item and must be replaced at about 12,000 pages.
I suggest you check the economics first - at about $200 retail you are better off replacing the printer

fnphoto
06-09-2006, 07:00 PM
I also have a 6500 with this problem & after mucking around for ages trying to clean it have been told it's time to replace the drum. But at it's age I think a new laser printer is the go, especially seeing the drivers have never worked 100% with XP anyway.

Graham L
06-09-2006, 07:19 PM
Any image problems like this are electrostatic, and nothing to do with how much toner is left.

Cleaning the drum is usually not a recommended thing ... the surface is easily damaged.

Condensation on the drum can have a major effect. I've seen a photocopier producing black pages after being overnight in an unheated building. Some models of copiers have (had?) a heater in the drum to fix that problkem.

There are various electrodes in the engine which are meant to be cleaned by the user from time to time. They usually have brightly coloured handles on them.