PDA

View Full Version : dead hard drive? strange symptoms

Greven
05-09-2006, 10:23 PM
My grandparents computer suddenly stopped booting into windows (no error either - just nothing on screen when it starts booting into windows)

I ran a full hard disk check from a seatools bootable CD & it only found one bad block. I then booted from a XP CD to do a repair, but after breifly displaying "setup is checking your hardware", nothing was displayed on screen.

That was strange, so I thought perhaps the RAM was faulty. I swapped it out with known good RAM & still got the same problem.

I unplugged the hard drive, and booted off my XP CD again - it worked exactly as it should. Plugged the drive back in & nothing after "setup is inspecting your hardware"

Do you think the hard drive is the real problem, or am I jumping to conclusions?

trinsic
05-09-2006, 10:28 PM
Funny thing happened to me today. My mother turned her computer on and it sat at the post/bios screen and nothing happened. Tried everything and then thought of replacing the Ide cable and it started working again.

Give it a try :)

pctek
06-09-2006, 09:37 AM
Do you think the hard drive is the real problem, or am I jumping to conclusions?

Yes.
I saw that thing you got off Trademe. I personally would have waited for that first PC you were going to get - bad brand components in that TM one....