PDA

View Full Version : XP Home Network - sleepy server

andy
05-09-2006, 11:20 AM
I have set up an old pc as a print and file server on my home network. The machine is a ASUS TUSI-M/celeron 1G with 380Mb of ram with an 80Gb and 150 GB HDD running Win XP Home. Attached printers are - Brother HL1430 laser and a Canon IP4200 inkjet. There are 4 other pcs on the network running XP pro (1), XP Home (2) and 98SE (1). The network connects to the internet via a DSE XH1169 4 port router.
Mostly the setup works fine.Problem is the server machine runs so slow after a couple of days that the network seizes up. I have to reboot the server to get anything to happen. I believe from what I have read that this is a common feature of using Windows. Is there any way around it? I thought of using Linux (I don't know anything about Linux but am willing to try to learn) but I can't find Linux drivers for the printers.
Any advice would be appreciated.

SolMiester
05-09-2006, 11:48 AM
I believe from what I have read that this is a common feature of using Windows.[/B]
Any advice would be appreciated.

Haha, thats just funny, all the servers around the world rebooting every other day cause they start to run slow. Where did you read that...?

I have no idea why the machine would start to run slow off hand, however I would suspect you have a program loaded on the system that is 'leaking' RAM resourses, for which a reboot resests. For a start you are using a peer to peer network which doesnt help. XP home is the worst option for a server, XP Pro would be better as it has a proper 'server' service for sharing files and printers.

Check your event log for error or warnings.

andy
05-09-2006, 12:15 PM
Cheers,
I'll upgrade it to Pro. The only software on the server is Windows, AVG, the printer stuff and a backup utility.

handya
05-09-2006, 09:45 PM
i have not had this problem, i have run xp home and pro as a server, i had my server on for over amonth no prob, his idea sounded the best, but if it keeps on happing it my be over heating?

Rob99
05-09-2006, 11:40 PM
Want a server you can leave on 24/7, that you can also use as a normal computer, try mepis (http://www.mepis.org/). I has drivers for all sorts of printers built in.

You could try the live CD first to see if you can get all your hardware to work before you install.

andy
06-09-2006, 06:24 PM
I've been monitoring the temperature. The CPU never seems to get above 35 degrees so it is well within its limits.
I will have a look at this mepis thing before I splash out on an XP upgrade.
Cheers.
Will post results when I seem to have any.