PDA

View Full Version : Email Photos Query

Winston001
05-09-2006, 10:45 AM
Can't find a simple answer anywhere. Using Outlook Express, how do you insert (and reduce in size to fit) a photo into the email itself?

Normally I attach and the resize option comes up. But the pic has to be opened separately, it isn't in the message screen when it opens. "Inserting picture" works but it is huge and to see the photo, the recipient has to scroll from side to side.

I actually did it yesterday but frankly,it was an accident. :D

Safari
05-09-2006, 10:57 AM
How to use image resizer in XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/shareit/instant.mspx
Repairing the Image Resizer in Windows XP
http://www.tikkiweb.net/resizer

Or Try running this from Start | Run | Type > regsvr32 shimgvw.dll

Morgenmuffel
05-09-2006, 11:07 AM
In your top toolbar

Insert --> picture

I think you have to resize/resample it first

If you click on the image when you have put it in the email you can drag a corner of it, to resize the image

FoxyMX
05-09-2006, 11:07 AM
Resize the picture fairly small before inserting the picture in the email message. You will probably have to experiment to find the ideal size - I don't use OE so I can't make any recommendations.

Winston001
05-09-2006, 11:10 AM
Thanks Safari. The Image Resizer works fine if I attach a pic. But if I ant to embed it in an email, well, I don't really know how to do that.

Really, I want to resize and then embed. I've done it by accident but can't see the steps to take.

I'll follow your suggested link and try again.

FoxyMX
05-09-2006, 11:20 AM
OK, I just fired up OE. A pic 800 x 600 is not too large on my 17" LCD monitor with 1280 x 1024 resolution with OE taking up 2/3 of the screen. I would go less than that for users of smaller monitors and resolutions of 1024 x 768 and less.

As Nigel says, go to Insert --> picture from the menu or the toolbar.

Scouse
05-09-2006, 11:38 AM
To insert the picture: In the New Mail window there is normally a text formatting toolbar above the text area. At the extreme right end of this is a small picture icon. Click on this icon and browse to the picture you want placed in the email. If you can't see the formatting toolbar, click on View>Toolbars and click the Formatting Toolbar name to activate it.

Winston001
05-09-2006, 11:54 AM
Thankyou everyone for your quick help.

However, maybe I'm thick. I can resize and attach a photo -. No problem. XP does the business.

The problem is I'm sending a pic to a person whose security settings (at work) won't allow photos to open. When told that, I accidently managed to embed the pic in a new email and it went through no problem and a nice small size.

Format->Send Pictures With Message seems to be the right setting.

If I go to the file pic, right click etc etc, it resizes but doesn't embed in the email. I know the answer is simple but darned if I can see where.

What I want is for the other person to open the email and the pic is right there already open, and a small size.

FoxyMX
05-09-2006, 11:59 AM
The problem is I'm sending a pic to a person whose security settings (at work) won't allow photos to open. When told that, I accidently managed to embed the pic in a new email and it went through no problem and a nice small size.

And herein lies the problem. If the other person cannot open photos they won't be able to view them inline in the message either, as the email has to be viewed in HTML mode rather than text mode to view it. Your recipient probably has viewing in text mode enabled. They will have to change to viewing in HTML mode to view the pics in the message.

Winston001
05-09-2006, 12:17 PM
Hmmm......good point Susan.

Nevertheless I managed to resend the pic and it did appear. You'd expect them just to see a placeholder and no image.

Still, you are making me think. Ta. :D