PDA

View Full Version : IE timed out while long download!

Jim
04-09-2006, 03:11 PM
I/we have a new computer and I have been trying to download all the new files for Norton Antivirus. I have no trouble linking to the site BUT because there are so many large files the connection times out before I am finished :groan: (I know there will also be some large up date files to download for some of the other programs)

I know I did something on my "old computer" to IE v6 that solved the problem but I can't find out what I did. Can someone please jog my memory

Renmoo
04-09-2006, 04:26 PM
Hello Jim. Are you on dial-up or broadband connection? Are you living in somewhere rural?

Cheers :)

Jim
04-09-2006, 05:08 PM
Dial up - Richmond, Nelson. I did something to IE on my other computer and it stays on line until I have finished downloadind even if they are long

zqwerty
04-09-2006, 06:38 PM
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813827/

this may help

Strommer
04-09-2006, 07:23 PM
Jim, why not use a download manager?
I use an old version of FreshDownload and it works perfectly, resuming file downloads if the connection is dropped. A recent issue of PCW came with a disk with "Free Download Manager", or find others on www.download.com - all freebies.

Aaaaand, why oh why are you still using IE...?!!
Dump it ASAP and use Firefox (or Opera, Netscape, anything else).

Jim
05-09-2006, 10:44 AM
Thanks to all those replied. I talked to a neighbouring friend and he gave me the clue. We went into Disply Properties>Power and set the turning off of the hard disc etc to never. I have now got all my Norton Downloads done and am getting my Windows updrades up to date (I must remember to reset it when I get it all up to date)

SurferJoe46
05-09-2006, 03:57 PM
Yeah. :stare: ..but are you still gonna use IE? :stare:

Firefox is much safer :thumbs: and will protect you from a lot of things that go "bump" in the night.

Come back later when you want to get rid of Norton too....or just do a search here on this site for a lot of interesting (to say the least) anecdotal evidence pro-and-con the Norton/Symantec debate. :xmouth: