PDA

View Full Version : CPRM drive error message?

minster
03-09-2006, 11:56 PM
I just finished recording 90 minutes of TV (free to air) program to a Sony 4.7gb DVD-RW disc. All appeared to be sucessful until I tried to play back the disc using Nero, error message saying...."Playback is impossible because you do not use CPRM drive"

Anyone know what this means please? I've used this disc to record and play video before and the same DVD writer, it's the only one I have.

Also tried playing the disc with media player and with PowerDVD with no success?
This really has me stumped and would appreciate any advise please.:thumbs: Thank you!

Scouse
04-09-2006, 12:06 AM
Try Google on CPRM drive. Interesting reading.

minster
04-09-2006, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the suggestion Scouse but that's the first thing I did on getting the error.
Didn't understand a word of the talk about CPRM and anyway, can't imagine how this is happening with free to air tv being recorded on a rewritable dvd that's been used before a few times on a writer that's also been used quite often lately?:help:

Speedy Gonzales
04-09-2006, 09:52 PM
It means Content Protection For Recordable Media (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPRM)

Did u save it to the hdd first, then burn it with Nero? Or burn it directly to DVD? From the program u were recording the tv channel with?

Does it work in a standalone DVD player, if u have one?

Burn it to a DVD + or DVD-, instead of a rewritable one.

minster
04-09-2006, 10:23 PM
Speedy!
To answer your questions.
(1) I used nero to burn directly to dvd.
(My model of Winfast 2000xp RM tv capture card does not support "Direct to dvd recording) but it can be done using nero "Record TV show) which works through the tv tuner card above. (Only with a rewritable dvd inserted according to what it says?)
(2) I don't have a standalone dvd player but got same results(error) using dvd player on my partners PC.

Have today tried recording a short tv show directly to Hard drive and then burned to DVD with no problems. Playback of dvd was good so will try on some longer shows over the next few days (By recording to Hard drive first:))

Emailed Ledtech customer support earlier today for some answers and they answered only hours later but unfortunately the reply to my questions was very limited in detail.

I needed to know if/how is it possible to use the Winfast 2000xp RM card to record a 2 hour tv show and still be able to get it on a 470gb dvd.

Speedy, thank's for your reply/suggestions:)
I shall try what you say over the next few days as time allows.:thumbs:

Speedy Gonzales
05-09-2006, 09:55 PM
If u have the Deluxe or Expert tuner, the PVR program, that these use does support burning directly to DVD.

BUT usually this isnt a good idea unless the system is fast enough to keep up.

It'll fit on a 4.7GB dvd if u edit it. If not buy a dual layer burner. Theyre cheap now.. Or have u got an external USB 2 tuner?

Is this your tuner (http://www.leadtek.com.tw/eng/support/download.asp?downlineid=63&downline=%20WINFAST%20TV2000%20XP%20RM)

The PVR program, for the deluxe and expert, may also be for yours.

minster
05-09-2006, 10:57 PM
Speedy,
No the tuner in your link is the more expensive "Deluxe"model, mine is the "RM" cheapest option.
My AOPEN DUW 1608/ARR dvd writer does support dual layer but I have none of the "DL" discs at this time.
Tried playing with the PVR settings (Format) and have managed to record 3 x100 minute movies so far (to HDD) for a total size of 4.1 gb which has fitted nicely on one 4.7gb dvd and they all playback well (Just a little blurry in picture but still quite acceptable to myself)
I recorded them in (mpeg 1 good quality)setting and each of the 3 recordings were around 1.5 gb in size.
Earlier I had tried recording about the same time show, using a setting of mpeg2 optimal quality and this gave a file size of just over 5 gb.
No more instances of CPRM error messages yet so might be ok as we are now.
Thanks again for your help:) Most appreciated:thumbs: