PDA

View Full Version : bee sound

mick dunne
03-09-2006, 10:15 PM
can anyone help, now and again i,m getting the sound of a bee on my pc,i,m new to all this but its driving me nuts,

developer
03-09-2006, 11:07 PM
Is the sound from a speaker inside your case?

mick dunne
03-09-2006, 11:20 PM
no its not,it only comes on when i,m on the iternet

mick dunne
03-09-2006, 11:21 PM
no its not,it only comes on when i,m on the internet

developer
03-09-2006, 11:33 PM
Is the sound from your main speakers? Does it go when you turn the speakers off?

Sweep
03-09-2006, 11:45 PM
no its not,it only comes on when i,m on the internet

Just a thought here. It just may be a bearing on a fan. Why it only happens while on the Internet I have no idea.

KiwiMR2
03-09-2006, 11:54 PM
What brand is your pc?? I remember there is a sound test on one of the brands that has a bumble bee buzzing around as the test sound.

Cheers
KiwiMR2

mick dunne
04-09-2006, 12:04 AM
it does go when speakers are off

Myth
04-09-2006, 12:24 AM
Could be anything. The cpu fan rubbing against a wire, the harddrive.. anything. You could look in the tower and see if you can locate where exactly the noise is coming from (but if your computer is under warranty, this will void the warranty. IN this case take the computer back to the shop and tell them whats wrong)

Billy T
04-09-2006, 12:46 AM
You could look in the tower and see if you can locate where exactly the noise is coming from (but if your computer is under warranty, this will void the warranty.
This is perpetuating a myth.

Opening your computer case does not void any warranty. If you dive inside boots and all, you might do enough damage to cause refusal of a warranty claim, but otherwise there is no reason not to look inside.

No company can decline a warranty claim just because you opened the case. They can't refuse it even if you added new parts like a DVD drive or more ram. They remain responsible for all the parts they sold you.

Anyway, as Mick said, the noise goes away when the speakers are off so it's not a physical thing. Disconnect the speakers and try headphones for a starter.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Greg
04-09-2006, 01:53 AM
Anyway, as Mick said, the noise goes away when the speakers are off so it's not a physical thing. Disconnect the speakers and try headphones for a starter.
That won't help cos it seems as if the sound is coming from the pc's speaker in the case, not his external speakers.

GhostBuster
04-09-2006, 02:32 AM
Do you have a microphone connected up and close to the speakers? Also just an idea, but go into control panel and go into "sound and audio devices" click advance and see if microphone is in there and if so mute it and see what that does .

mick dunne
04-09-2006, 02:39 AM
thanks all, i,ve muted microphone and if that doesn,t do it i will have speakers checked,

Strommer
04-09-2006, 08:38 AM
Opening your computer case does not void any warranty. If you dive inside boots and all, you might do enough damage to cause refusal of a warranty claim, but otherwise there is no reason not to look inside.

Really? I thought most cases have a painted seal and if it is broken the printed info says it voids the warranty.

Billy T
04-09-2006, 08:55 AM
That won't help cos it seems as if the sound is coming from the pc's speaker in the case, not his external speakers.
Well, he first said it wasn't coming from the case speaker, and later said it stopped when his speakers (plural) were off, so I can be excused for thinking..............

Cheers

Billy 8-{) ;)

Myth
04-09-2006, 10:02 AM
it does go when speakers are offI read this as: the noise is still there (but then it could also be a typo and should in fact say "the noise does go away when the speakers are off"

No company can decline a warranty claim just because you opened the case. They can't refuse it even if you added new parts like a DVD drive or more ram. They remain responsible for all the parts they sold you.
Cheers

Billy 8-{)Soon after doing A+ I did unpaid work experience for a company in New Plymouth. Any new computer was inspected, checked to make sure it went, and stickers were applied. If any of those stickers were broken, they would not fix anything under warranty (as the customer had obviously been inside and tampered with something). The sticker was of bright colouring and did tell the customer not to open the box for that reason; and was placed in such a way so as not to be visible from the sides, but over the join where the side and backplate met. Whether or not they could refuse the warranty was never tested, and I was just following orders (in applying the stickers) so it didn't really worry me.

Thomas01
04-09-2006, 10:45 AM

Interesting point this. I quite agree but I have in fact had at least one computer with a seal on the case and warning that if the seal is broken then the warranty is also.
The warning probably stops some people who should never get inside the case from doing so - but I cannot see it being legal.
Tom

KiwiMR2
05-09-2006, 08:31 PM
We sell HP, IBM, NEC/Packard Bell, Sony, Toshiba, Compaq......all of which don't have any problem with customers opening units to add ram or other parts etc. BUT will decline any warranty repairs & charge IF the upgrade has caused the issue :)

Cheers
KiwiMR2

godfather
05-09-2006, 08:41 PM
We sell HP, IBM, NEC/Packard Bell, Sony, Toshiba, Compaq......all of which don't have any problem with customers opening units to add ram or other parts etc. BUT will decline any warranty repairs & charge IF the upgrade has caused the issue :)

Cheers
KiwiMR2

Thats my understanding as well, after all, HP even give step-by-step instructions on how to get into the case. But if the actions in the case caused it, then it's only reasonable to decline it.

pctek
05-09-2006, 10:14 PM
I read this as: the noise is still there (but then it could also be a typo and should in fact say "the noise does go away when the speakers are off"
Any new computer was inspected, checked to make sure it went, and stickers were applied. If any of those stickers were broken, they would not fix anything under warranty (as the customer had obviously been inside and tampered with something).

I had a buzzing sort of noise at one stage, when I moved the mouse or somthing.
I was being lazy ignoring it cause I knew the cause so today I re-tidied all my cables and tied them up with velcro cable ties etc - especially the one going from my amp to the back of the sound card - I moved it off the power cables and multi-box it was sitting on and voila - no more noise.

And its all so pretty now too.....colour coded ties etc.

As for that ridiculous policy of that shop, how does damaging a sticker prove or disprove they caused a problem with the PC?
It proves nothing except they were ultra paranoid or looking for an excuse.

Myth
07-09-2006, 11:18 PM
I had a buzzing sort of noise at one stage, when I moved the mouse or somthing.
I was being lazy ignoring it cause I knew the cause so today I re-tidied all my cables and tied them up with velcro cable ties etc - especially the one going from my amp to the back of the sound card - I moved it off the power cables and multi-box it was sitting on and voila - no more noise.

And its all so pretty now too.....colour coded ties etc.

As for that ridiculous policy of that shop, how does damaging a sticker prove or disprove they caused a problem with the PC?
It proves nothing except they were ultra paranoid or looking for an excuse.Don't know, don't care. And yeah they were paranoid asses.
Funny thing is, somehow they stayed (and are still) in business, despite losing one customers harddrive for weeks, stalling another customer for over four weeks for a job that should have taken 3 or 4 days (admittedly there were complications OS-wise), and losing another customers cpu (the computer was upgraded, and the customer wanted all the old parts)

fenderbloke
16-09-2006, 06:08 AM
I think you are all looking into this a little too deeply. The sound was described as a bee, not a buzz. There is a rather annoying ad around at the moment, "Swat the Mosquito and win a laptop", the usual sort of ad scam. You hear the sound of a mosquito buzzing. The ad appears to unsubscribed users of Paltalk for example. It drops a small looped .wav file into temp internet files and a cookie. The file seems to have an annoying habit of playing itself at random intervals. My guess is deleting temp files/cookies will fix the problem, until it reappears.