PDA

View Full Version : Network. boot-up. vnetsup prob./registry

mark c
03-09-2006, 05:43 PM
Hi,

I was fiddling around with my comp trying to get the "save password" and "dial up automatically" unghosted which was a very minor irritation compared to what I've done to it now. I read a bit about Network and "family logon' stuff and as I said fiddled around and added Client for Microsoft Network and then later Removed it (didn't unghost anything but that's OK) and now when i boot up I get a message "Windows cannot find device - Renistall or uninstall" etc then reference to vnetsup.vxd and dfs.vxd which I beleive are to do with networking. This isn't networked and won't be. I looked around and found a fix in the registry that said "delete vcnetsup.vxd value."

I went to HKeyLocalMachine/System/Current Control Set/Services/VXD/vnetsup and on the right pane (Win98se) I get...

Default no value set
Comment ""
Comp Name B2S8N8
Net Clean 01
Start 00
StaicVxD vnetsup.vxd
Workgroup Workgroup

Does anyone know what I can change there to fix this boot up problem? There are quite a lot of references on the net but I have seen various suggestions and some conflicting. I don't have the Windows CD as this is an old hand-me-down.

Any help/suggestions much appreciatted. mark c

PS The comp does finally boot up and works fine.

Speedy Gonzales
03-09-2006, 07:32 PM
On 98, I'm pretty sure u had to give it a login / password to get into 98.

Before it would save the password on dialup. (And then it should become unghosted).

And then the save option for the dialup will stick.

So, I would try and borrow a 98 CD from somewhere.

If you try and reinstall the drivers for the network, and tell me what the files are, its asking for, I could zip the files u need (which shouldnt be too big). I've got 98 SE, but hpopefully, 98 will accept them.

mark c
03-09-2006, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the reply. In Device Manager/Network Adapter (which is the only reference to a network) Dialup Adapter Properties/Driver File Details I have this.....
C:\WindowsSystem\NDIS.VXD
" \PPMAC.VXD
" \VTDI.386
" \VIP.386
" \VTCP.386
" \DHCP.386

Is this what you mean? Seems more like dial-up details than networking. I'm at the now familiar stage after I have fiddled around and screwed something up that I'm saying to myself. "If it goes leave it alone!". Geez, I have done this so many times before. And I get very careful until it wears off and I do it again.LOL

What about the registry change? Ran MS RegClean - didn't change anything.

Speedy Gonzales
03-09-2006, 08:28 PM
Are those the files its asking for, if u go to add the networking stuff again?

From Control Panel?

mark c
03-09-2006, 08:52 PM
Banyan Plus 3.1

Whatever that is. If I open the Network applet in Control Panel and go Add then Client that's what comes up. The the option to insert disk if you have it which I don't. At first I added it then this boot up rpblemn started so I removed it rebooted and still the same boot up issue. Comes under 'irritation' rather than 'problem'. The boot up thing I mean. Thanks.....mark c

Speedy Gonzales
03-09-2006, 09:19 PM
This (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q137361/)

And

This (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/148925/EN-US/) may help.

On how to reinstall the networking files, so we can see what file/s 98 ask for.

mark c
03-09-2006, 09:28 PM
I'll have a read through those. Thanks speedy, you're a gem