PDA

View Full Version : Date Execution Prevention...

The_End_Of_Reality
03-09-2006, 11:12 AM
Hey people :)

I have heard of this, and have just recently got one of these messages saying WMP had done something, I can't remember what, but that is not important... What I was wanting to know is what exactly is Data Execution Prevention and what does it do?

Speedy Gonzales
03-09-2006, 11:22 AM
Info here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Execution_Prevention)

Burnzee
03-09-2006, 11:30 AM
Despite your heading, I think you mean Data Execution Prevention.

DEP is simply a set of hardware and software memory checks that prevent you running malicious code on your computer.

BURNZEE

The_End_Of_Reality
03-09-2006, 01:28 PM
Oh, oops my bad :p

Thanks Speedy, I will read up about it

Graham L
03-09-2006, 04:54 PM
It's so new (like all Microsoft innovative inventions) that the Burroughs 5000 series computers had a better way to do that in the 1960s. Tag bits on every memory word showed exactly what it was: executable code, integer, real, characters, variable location (and if it had been given a value!). No way for users to change that ... only a compiler could write the tag bits.

TGoddard
03-09-2006, 07:54 PM
DEP is a rather poor attempt to reduce the impact of buffer overflow attacks (often used by worms to spread automatically). This may reduce the risk that badly designed Windows services can be compromised to execute arbitrary code. It unfortunately doesn't work.

The_End_Of_Reality
05-09-2006, 08:38 AM
I read up on it, not sure why I didn't Google it first :confused: but now I understand what it is there for...