PDA

View Full Version : Back up copy of music CD AND MP3 versions

Brain_Cell_Anon
03-09-2006, 06:05 AM
Dear Peepets and Peeps!
I would like to make an 'off site back up copy' of a music cd.
Now, before you all go leaping to those keyboards to tell me your fave CD burner, the other side to the equation is that I also have the CD in MP3 format.
So my question(s) is(are) this(these)....... (pause for effect):

1) How would I be able to make said 'off site back up copy' (not too difficult so far) but also include the MP3 versions on the same disc?
2) I'm guessing that the 'osbuc' would need to be 'closed' to allow it to be played on 'normal' CD players (ieg non MP3 CD players) but can it be closed AND still have the MP3 versions avaliable?
3) If I close the disc, surely I won't be able to add the MP3s? (and don't call me Shirley!!)
4) Is it possible to add the MP3s to the CD before the actual 'press' of the 'burn' button? (ieg clicking on the "Please make osbuc of disc in CD player, oh, and add these files, now burn using seperate CD burner!" button)
5)And finally, did any of that make sense?
Answers on a postcard........ (or this thread please).
Any info would be most appreciated even if it's like "No!" :annoyed:

Many regards in advance,

The Cell :D

Oh, BTW, I use Nero v 6.0.0.16 if that helps, and have an almost complete version of Windows XP Media Center Edition. "Almost complete" cos I'm still not entirely sure what's installed and what's not. Still doing the 'play thing'! :badpc:

Speedy Gonzales
03-09-2006, 07:30 AM
1) How would I be able to make said 'off site back up copy' (not too difficult so far) but also include the MP3 versions on the same disc?

You can get 180-190 MP3's on a CD, compared to 18-20 songs on a CD.

However, I doubt you'll get BOTH on a CD. Even if u could, if u want to play the MP3's, on a stereo, it'll have to support the MP3 format.

2) I'm guessing that the 'osbuc' would need to be 'closed' to allow it to be played on 'normal' CD players (ieg non MP3 CD players) but can it be closed AND still have the MP3 versions avaliable?

No once its closed / finalised, u cant usually add anything else to the CD. If the MP3s and songs are on the CD, sure it can be closed/finalised. Thats if they can all fit on the same CD.

3) If I close the disc, surely I won't be able to add the MP3s? (and don't call me Shirley!!)

No you wont once it' finalised.

4) Is it possible to add the MP3s to the CD before the actual 'press' of the 'burn' button? (ieg clicking on the "Please make osbuc of disc in CD player, oh, and add these files, now burn using seperate CD burner!" button)

You can try. As above, dependng on how many MP3's and songs you want to burn, they may or may not all fit on the CD.

Brain_Cell_Anon
03-09-2006, 08:24 AM
Wow!
Speedy Gonzales, you live up to your name. Thanks for the very quick reply.
180-190 MP3s on a CD, a? Guess it depends on the bitrate they are recorded at! Must admit I prefer the 128mbs as it is almost CD quality. Also, seems to be about 1 min per MB at that rate.
Just been out for sausage and chips and got your reply. So, in effect, what you are saying is that there is no way to make an osbuc of a music CD PLUS the MP3s of that album on the same CD, a?
Regards,

Speedy Gonzales
03-09-2006, 08:53 AM
No worries :) Correct

It may work on a DVD, (I've just selected Nero Express), if I change the burner to DVD, u have the option of MP3/WMA, (which would still let u put more MP3's or WMA files on a CD than a normal CD). Only thing is, if u want to play these formats on a stereo, it would have to support WMA and MP3.

Or Nero Digital Audio Disc, which by the looks of it, burns the files to the CD in AAC format.

But I would say i'd stilll be a tight fit on a normal blank CD.

If u try and put BOTH on the cd.

There's not much diff anyway. Only diff is ones in a format most cd players can read, the other MP3, and theyre just as good as each other.

Most of mine are 128, they sound good enough to me.

It may also depend on the length of each song, on how many songs or MP3's will fit on a CD as well.

You could try mixed mode cd using the normal Nero. I havent quite figured out how to use this bit yet. I've only really used Nero for MP3 CD's or Nerovision for digital video.

Actually I think its more than 190. That was only coz I had like 394 or so MB of MP3's. It would be closer to 200 -350 maybe.

For a full CD.

Brain_Cell_Anon
07-09-2006, 08:10 AM
Ok! Just had a thought (if any body is still following this thread? ;) ).
How about I use a CD-R, burn the MP3s on first, er, normally, do not 'close/finalise', then using the same CD-R make an OSBUC which should then 'close/finalise' the CD? Seems like a plan, a?
Or should that be a CD-RW?
Any thoughts on that oh clever ones out there?

Many regards,

Speedy Gonzales
07-09-2006, 08:51 PM
Err what exactly is OSBUC?

I doubt you'll get MP3's and the songs on the same CD. They wont fit.

It doesnt matter which way u burn them to the cd.

And I doubt burning to CDRW makes any diff, since its the same size as a CDR. Only diff is its rewritable.

Brain_Cell_Anon
09-09-2006, 11:11 AM
Ok Seņor Gonzales,
An OSBUC is an Off Site Back Up Copy. As I said in my opening question about making an 'off site back up copy' of a music disc, then went on to abbreviate it the next time to OSBUC with out first putting the term then the abbrivation in brackets together. I appologise for not putting the two together. I may have confused you there. Sorry once again.

Or more than likely, the term is not used as widely as I thought it was. I thought it was in common use. I seem to remember asking friends for (and giving) OSBUCs in the past. Usually of free programs off the Interweb, or magazine covers. Hmm!

Now, if the music CD displays that it only has 473MBs on it, and the MP3s are only 49MBs are you saying that added together they won't fit on a 750 MB CD?
Is this some sort of automatic compression that MP3s do so that allthough they appear small, they are in actual fact massive files? I learn something new every day! I knew that MP3s are in some way compressed, but I also thought that it was the codacs that were doing the de-compression!

This is becoming more and more un-realistic. Guess I'll just have to think of some thing else. Like two seperate CDs for each format. If you think I won't be able to get 522 MBs on a CD because of the formats, maybe I should stop here!

Thanks for your help. It's been very interesting.

TGoddard
09-09-2006, 04:00 PM
You can produce hybrid data/music disks. A CD player will only ever read the first track on the CD, while a computer will get the table of contents from the last track. You can write a CD where the first track is an audio track then add one or more data tracks. A CD player will see the audio and a computer will see the files.

Note that you need CD recording software that supports this. You need to write the audio first, don't finalise the disk, then append a data track to the end containing the music as MP3s. The method for doing this varies between various software packages. The space taken will be the sum of the space for the CD audio and files.

Brain_Cell_Anon
11-09-2006, 08:55 AM
TGoddard!
Well thank you for that! I did wonder that as a CD is basically full of 1s and 0s, surely it's just if those 1s & 0s could be manipulated in such a way as to get a 'hybrid' (nice word, think I'll use that in a sentence on some one today! :D ) and end up with the two formats on one disc.
Started as an excersise in thought really! I'll have a play.
Much appreciated for the info. Thanks again.