PDA

View Full Version : USB external hard drive XP drivers

dolby digital
02-09-2006, 09:32 PM
I purchased a 2.5" external hard drive today and it only came with Win98 drivers as Windows 2000 and XP have the drivers already... ok fine so far.

I plugged it into my XP laptop and the disk clattered and the CPU sucked a few more watts from the national grid; then the little green arrow for disconnecting USB devices appeared in the system tray but no new drive letter appeared in Explorer.

Umm, now what. The hard disk in the enclosure is formatted and ready to go with files already on it. If I check my USB details in device drivers, it says there is a mass storage device attached.

I have determined its a Alcor Micro usb chip but did a quick search of the internet and couldn't find any specific drivers for XP because they work with the default drivers with XP.

...well mine doesn't.

:waughh:

gcarmich
02-09-2006, 10:53 PM
How do you know that it already has files on it ? I suspect it doesn't even have a partition on it.

Got to the "Disk Management" section of Computer Management and see if it appears in there. You'll find Computer managment if you right click "My Computer" (assuming its on the desktop), or in the control panel.

dolby digital
02-09-2006, 11:50 PM
How do you know that it already has files on it ? I suspect it doesn't even have a partition on it.

Well thats where you are 100% wrong. It has a FAT32 partition on it so I can share it with Linux. :)

I never thought of looking there. I'll have a look.

gcarmich
03-09-2006, 12:19 AM
Win some - lose some. :-) If its the first time a USB drive has been plugged into the laptop, XP some times needs a reboot to make the partition appear. No idea why. However I suspect you've tried that.

Speedy Gonzales
03-09-2006, 08:05 AM
Does the BIOS support USB removable devices??

Usually when a USB device is connected it'll list it in the BIOS (like on this it lists them under the USB Config Menu / USB Mass Storage Device Config). In the BIOS.

dolby digital
03-09-2006, 11:34 AM
Does the BIOS support USB removable devices??

Usually when a USB device is connected it'll list it in the BIOS (like on this it lists them under the USB Config Menu / USB Mass Storage Device Config). In the BIOS.
Yep, the BIOS does support USB removable devices. My previous USB hard drive also caused me a problem but it appeared to fix itself when I found an INF file which XP was happy with.

I love the way manufacturers say that the default XP drivers will support it and provide no troubleshooting help what so ever. As if everything works perfect first time.

Maybe I'll just have to use it in Linux :eek:

dolby digital
03-09-2006, 11:36 AM
Maybe I'm just thick.

Speedy Gonzales
03-09-2006, 11:41 AM
USB 2 drivers DO usually work, BUT I think its because the system would have to detect it on bootup ( if its something like an external USB hdd).

I would say that most manufacturers ASSUME the USB device you're using, is internal or a device u plug into a USB port. So, Windows detects it after Windows has loaded / booted up.

NOT something that needs to be detected as soon as you boot up, like an external USB hdd.

dolby digital
03-09-2006, 01:20 PM
Fixed.

The drive wasn't spinning up doh!

Disassembled the enclosure and reseated the hard drive. Must have been a dodgy connection.

I'm happy now... hold on, I've a external DVD writer to get going now :rolleyes: