PDA

View Full Version : Ad hoc wireless connection

louiezmum
02-09-2006, 05:26 PM
Hi. Can anyone tell me how to set up my laptop to wirelessly connect to my hp all in one printer so i don't have to physically take the laptop to the printer? I have an acer laptop with all the "fruit" including a wireless broadband aircard. My printer also has an inbuilt wireless network option that can be configured to connect wirelessly to a laptop or configured PC. I only want to print wirelessly from my printer to laptop, nothing else. How can I do this without involving the internet connection? Appreciate some help. Tried the steps using an ad hoc approach using the wizard setup but to no avail. I have WinXP home on my laptop. Cheers louiezmum

Speedy Gonzales
02-09-2006, 05:30 PM
I dont think an Ad hoc connection works properly without an access point.

Have you got an Access Point?

TGoddard
02-09-2006, 08:10 PM
The whole point of ad-hoc connections is that they don't require an AP. I don't have a copy of XP here to test it on, but you should just be able to join an ad-hoc network from one computer then have another computer do the same.

Speedy Gonzales
02-09-2006, 09:46 PM
Well that maybe true, but then it wont be that secure if its on the net.

And it usually has a habit of disconnecting often.

Graham L
03-09-2006, 01:55 PM
louiezmum: Just assign fixed IP addresses in the same group (10.x.y.z, 192.168.x.y) to the laptop and printer. The printer will have a preset IP address ... you could just give the laptop an IP address which differs only in the last "dot" group. Then create a "new printer" and tell the wizard that it's a network printer, and it will find it.

Speedy: it will be reasonably secure because it isn't on the Internet. Any insecurity is due to the fact that it's wireless and radiating the information it's sending to the printer. But there's not much gain in cracking a connection to someone's printer ... you can hardly go and ask for the output.

Why should it disconnect often? It's called ad-hoc, because it isn't part of an organised system "infrastructure" with an access point. The two parties will talk as long as they are both present.

louiezmum
04-09-2006, 08:36 PM
Thanx to those that replied to my post. I tried to set up the ad hoc connection according to instructions from hp and it just didn't work. My laptop didn't show "ad hoc" in the list setup for sharing a printer either. I might have to get a wireless access point or router and setup the whole thing. I was only wanting to print wirelessly from my laptop but after following instructions it hasn't worked for some reason. I can't understand it as I have followed instructions according to HP. Anyone actually done the setup thing and has it worked and any probs they had and overcome? Cheers louiezmum

godfather
04-09-2006, 08:51 PM
Thanx to those that replied to my post. I tried to set up the ad hoc connection according to instructions from hp and it just didn't work. My laptop didn't show "ad hoc" in the list setup for sharing a printer either. I might have to get a wireless access point or router and setup the whole thing. I was only wanting to print wirelessly from my laptop but after following instructions it hasn't worked for some reason. I can't understand it as I have followed instructions according to HP. Anyone actually done the setup thing and has it worked and any probs they had and overcome? Cheers louiezmum

You may need to tell us what the printer model is, as HP make a few.
The setup may be different between models.

Also the model of laptop, for the same reason.

ughnz
04-09-2006, 09:33 PM
Umm do you have a WiFi conection in the notebook, or wireless jetstream?

godfather
05-09-2006, 12:05 AM
Umm do you have a WiFi conection in the notebook, or wireless jetstream?

Well spotted!

For the benefit of the original poster, a "wireless broadband aircard" is entirely different to a wireless ability to connect to a wireless printer, for which you need a "WiFi" enabled laptop. IEEE 802.11b, or 802.11g are commonly used notations for this protocol, but many laptops do have it built in these days - but not all.

louiezmum
12-09-2006, 05:00 PM
Answers to:Godfather and ughnz. 1. My printer is an HP 3310 all in one (it is supposed to be able to connect wirelessly).
2. My laptop is an Acer Travelmate 4064WLMi. It is wifi enabled. I only just bought it earlier this year. No Jetstream. To connect to the internet I have a telecom sierra air card (wireless broadband data card). Also from initial post Win XP Home. My desktop is Win XP Pro. Does that help? Thanx. Louiezmum

Graham L
12-09-2006, 05:12 PM
Your Telecom aircard will be turned on when it's plugged in. A WiFi internal device in a laptop is normally turned off by default, to save power. There will be a switch somewhere to turn it off or on.

You should be able to give it an IP address in the "private range" which is the same (except for the last ".xxx group") as the one set in the HP printer. But it won't work unless it's turned on. ;)

louiezmum
17-09-2006, 06:15 PM
To those who kindly replied to my query I have actually got my ad hoc connection to my printer from my laptop to work. Yahoo! Louiezmum :D