PDA

View Full Version : 2.1 GB avi files won't defrag

Tom McB
02-09-2006, 12:09 AM
Have defragged my hdd fine except for several 2.1 GB AVI files which somehow will not consolidate. Tried copying them across another pc in my P2P network, deleted from the original locations, defragged, then re-copied them across and they are still fragmented. Tried this in safemode, no go. :confused:

W2Kpro SP4
P4 2.8Ghz
1GB ram
120GB hdd FAT32

Any ideas?

Many thanks
T

godfather
02-09-2006, 12:47 AM
How much space is left on your 120 GB HDD?

Fat32 tops out at 4 GB file size, but it may depend on what space is left as to how it is stored.

I seriously doubt it would have any major effect though, on performance when playing the video file.

TGoddard
02-09-2006, 01:48 AM
Why worry about it? Large files will usually be partially fragmented. There is always a certain acceptable fragmentation level for any filesystem. Most modern filesystems do not provide or recommend manual control over fragmentation at all - files are automatically moved to keep it within tolerable levels.

Worries about fragmented filesystems date from earlier days. On a 200Mb low-speed FAT16 drive you would have problems when files became fragmented. In a modern system it takes extreme circumstances to cause significant loss of efficiency.

godfather
02-09-2006, 10:05 AM
Also defragging the file on another PC then transferring it means nothing, a fragmented file will not transfer as a fragmented file, the limitations/causes are at the receiving end.

A fragmented file will always be transferred in an unfragmented manner.

But as above, why worry.

Tom McB
02-09-2006, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the responses GF, TG.

Free space is approx 40% with the fragmented AVIs on; 58% with them taken out. I agree that they won't pose any performance probs on playback. I've been transferring home videos into dvd, have 2 tapes to do this weekend and had wanted to start with a reasonably organised hdd.

Thanks TG - I was just curious. Especially since I have several AVIs between 2 - 4GB (created from DV captures set to 10mins each segment). These have been defragged nicely - the question is with about half a dozen files which would always remain with one fragment, again not much to loose sleep about.

GF - I've only transferred the files across to facilitate the defrag on the primary pc, then moved the files back after the process. Not worried about how they look like on the second machine but even when the primary hdd has been compacted, returning the files leaves them once again fragged. Maybe a combination of the remaining space and where the file system would physically allocate them to?

Cheers
T