PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP System restore problem.

ianhnz
01-09-2006, 10:41 PM
:dogeye:
Can someone please help me? I have Windows XP Home and at the end of each month I lose ALL of my System restore points. My system is up to date. Virus and spyware checked. It's a real pain:(

Renmoo
01-09-2006, 11:02 PM
Hi. This could be due to the limited amount of hard disk space that you have allocated for System Restore.

Right-click My Computer, click Properties. Next, click System Restore tab and post back how much of MB have you set for it.

Cheers :)

ianhnz
02-09-2006, 09:22 AM
Thanks for that, James. Check that and all sliders are at MAX end. I have three drives. C: has 3.48 GB's, out of total of 15.9 GB's. D: drive has 2.45 out of 6.04 and finally E: div has 1.62 out of 2.73. Hope this helps? Ian. :thumbs:

pctek
02-09-2006, 09:55 AM
Thanks for that, James. Check that and all sliders are at MAX end. I have three drives. C: has 3.48 GB's, out of total of 15.9 GB's. D: drive has 2.45 out of 6.04 and finally E: div has 1.62 out of 2.73. Hope this helps? Ian. :thumbs:

Three drives? Three partitions I'd say - so you have a 20Gb HDD. Its too small, its also pointless have it partitioned like that as you have just got 2 tiny partitions and one main one.
All of which are quite full. Which is why it clears the restore points.
There is a HUGE amount of rubbish System Restore keeps to be able to work you know.
Get a bigger drive and image all this over to it and ditch the small one.

Strommer
02-09-2006, 10:03 AM
Where are System Restore files kept?
I don't mean how to access System Restore, but where the actual restore files / folder is located.

ianhnz
02-09-2006, 10:07 AM
System came with a 20 GB system that was already partitioned, for the recovery program. I installed the 6.4 from my older system.

Jen
02-09-2006, 10:09 AM
Where are System Restore files kept?In the root directory (eg C: drive) of each drive there is a folder called "System Volume Information" and the restore directory within that is called _restore.

FoxyMX
02-09-2006, 10:14 AM
In the root directory (eg C: drive) of each drive there is a folder called "System Volume Information" and the restore directory within that is called _restore.

And you need to have protected operating system files not hidden in order to view them. Also "Show hidden files and folders" enabled.

Strommer
02-09-2006, 09:47 PM
Thanks Jen and Foxy. I had to do the "protected operating system files not hidden" thing in order to see the "System Volume Information" folder, but the folder(s) all have a cursor balloon indicating that it is empty - they should not be since I use make System Restore points regularly in addition to the automatic Restore Points.

Why would they be empty?

BTW, there are two HD's in my PC, with one HD partitioned so the result is Drives C, D and G, each with its own Sys Vol Info folder.