PDA

View Full Version : DSL Connection Issues

Scottatron
01-09-2006, 02:40 PM
I'm having real trouble getting Bitstream connected at an address I've just moved into.

I requested a self-install and this order has been completed so there should be a DSL signal on the line.

The house I have moved into, has previously had a full-install perfomed so there is a splitter installed with a decidated jack point labelled 'jetstream' and two other jack points on the other side of the splitter. These three jack points all seem to be connected to the same line (strangely) so I get a dialtone on all three of them.

The three jackpoints are connected to another jackpoint on the other side of the room. After no luck on either of the 3 jack points, I have disconnected them from single one, so this solo jack point is the only one in the house that is getting a dialtone, yet I still cannot get any DSL signal.

I have tried all manner of isolation tests (connecting my router without a phone or micro-filter etc..), I have also tried another router, but nothing seems to pickup a DSL signal.

I have requested a full install from Orcon, however my concern is that I will have to pay the $150 despite the fact that a full install have obviously been performed in the past.

One of my thoughts is that the cabling in the house (it's quite old) is not cat5 twisted pair, except for the cable connecting the 3 jack points with the solo jack point, and I'm wondering if this is the issue?

Has anyone had similar issues?

Scott

stu161204
01-09-2006, 02:45 PM
Hello Scott

Welcome to PressF1 :)

Have Orcon / telecom phoned / e-mail you saying that adsl has been activated on your phone line?

Scottatron
01-09-2006, 02:52 PM
Hi Stu

Yes, I have spoken to Orcon several times and they have confirmed that the connection was completed on the 30th and having spoken to Telecom today, they have also confirmed that the connection is active.

Scott

PaulD
01-09-2006, 03:27 PM
The house I have moved into, has previously had a full-install perfomed so there is a splitter installed with a decidated jack point labelled 'jetstream' and two other jack points on the other side of the splitter. These three jack points all seem to be connected to the same line (strangely) so I get a dialtone on all three of them.

Not strange at all, the splitter just blocks the high frequency ADSL signal from the section of line used by the phones. You will get dial tone from all jacks connected to a line but only ADSL on the jack(s) directly connected without the filtering.

The three jackpoints are connected to another jackpoint on the other side of the room. After no luck on either of the 3 jack points, I have disconnected them from single one, so this solo jack point is the only one in the house that is getting a dialtone, yet I still cannot get any DSL signal.

Is the splitter installed internally at the location by the jack labelled Jetstream or outside? It will be pointless connecting a modem to any jack that is filtered.

Scottatron
01-09-2006, 03:42 PM
Hi Paul

The layout is as follows

One side of the room
|Jack1|Splitter|Jack2|Jack3|

The other side of the room
|Jack4|

Jack4 is where the line enters the room and it is connected to a cable that runs to the other side of the room and into Jack1. Jack1 is then connected to the splitter and the splitter to Jack2 and Jack3. It's the fact that Jack3 and Jack4 are connected to the same line seem's strange to me, as they are labelled with different numbers, but besides the point I guess.

I have tried my router Jack1 and Jack4 with no success. Jack4 is the only other connected jack point, there are others, but I have checked their connections and they're all disconnected internally.

I'm at a bit of a loss really.

Scott

PaulD
01-09-2006, 09:37 PM
Hi Paul

The layout is as follows

One side of the room
|Jack1|Splitter|Jack2|Jack3|

The other side of the room
|Jack4|

Jack4 is where the line enters the room and it is connected to a cable that runs to the other side of the room and into Jack1. Jack1 is then connected to the splitter and the splitter to Jack2 and Jack3. It's the fact that Jack3 and Jack4 are connected to the same line seem's strange to me, as they are labelled with different numbers, but besides the point I guess.

It's possible that once there were several lines in the room and 1,2&3 were on 1 and 4 on another but then 4 was disconnected and added to the others. I'm assuming that the wiring clearly shows 1 and 4 connected. Seems strange unless the original intention was to allow 2 possible places for the modem to be plugged in. Regardless of what you've been told it is still possible that something hasn't been done correctly at the exchange.

pctek
02-09-2006, 10:00 AM
The router should show a lit LED for DSL if the line has been enabled. If it does not show one on any of these jackpoints then it hasn't been done, Telecom have been known to swear it has then discover oops, no it wasn't.

If you do get the DSL LED showing lit then it is some other problem.

Scottatron
04-09-2006, 11:09 AM
Hi, my DSL led is not active, it flashes on my router when there is no DSL signal. I'm starting to think that it's quite likely that Telecom hasn't enabled it despite them saying they have. Problem is, getting them to check is not that easy.

Siani
05-09-2006, 01:39 AM
We had the flashing dsl light, and it turned out that the splitter was faulty.

Don't know if this is any help, but maybe worth excluding?

ETA: sorry, read your first post again, and I take from that that you have tried excluding it.

gebbw
10-09-2006, 01:50 PM
Hi

I have this exact same problem, The DSL LED does not light up on the modem (DynalinkRTA1320). My ISP says that the exchange has been done and I have received the name/password etc but the modem won't detect an ADSL signal.

I am wondering if it is the wiring in the house, unless the exchange has not been done even though they said it has? It makes me wonder because I expected the phones to have the supposed interference you get when using them without a filter connected to a ADSL line. The house is on a 2 wire system, with 3 jacks but is old, so could be the wiring. Anyone got any ideas if the wiring could be the culprit?

regards
George