PDA

View Full Version : IBM Firmware

CaptinMoor
01-09-2006, 01:28 PM
Hi there guys and girls. I have a bit of an issue that I would like your help with. We have a IBM X-series 206 sever box with a naked hard drive. Well it wasnt nakered untill the boss put a screw driver through it :eek: , but needless to say its pretty stuffed now.:badpc: He has investigated a replacement HDD and IBM wants $1100 for a 35g replacement. This seems a bit rediculse to me and I was wondering if there was anyway of puting a aftermarket generic hd in and replicating the frimware in anyway.

If you have any ideas on how we can get around this issue would be greatly appreciated.

pctek
01-09-2006, 02:29 PM
Seems it uses these:

36 GB 10 000 rpm Ultra320 SCSI hot-swap SSL hard drive

(Or bigger)
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=ibm&lndocid=MIGR-54689

So just hunt around for someone who sells these scsis cheaper.

CaptinMoor
01-09-2006, 02:48 PM
Wow that makes a bit of a difference. I dont understand why they are still so expensive. The replacement doesnt need to be RAID capable or anything special. Is there no way of tricking the BIOS into think that say a SEAGATE 120g 7,200RPM drive is the right one. I am sorry if sounds really stupid but not to savay when it comes to firmware stuff.

Cheers Tim

Graham L
01-09-2006, 04:42 PM
IBM are wanting to sell you a "spare part". That's what they have. It's like the car industry ... "genuine spare parts" cost a lot of money compared to the same part, made in the same factory, but sold in a plain wrapper.

If you can find a SCSI drive with the same hotswap interface connector it will almost certainly work. You would be probably need to move over any special slides, latches, levers involved in the mechanics of hot swapping from the euthanised one. I doubt if you would be limited to 35 GB, and the rotational speed shouldn't make any difference either, except in transfer rates.

SCSI is SCSI, or should be. :D Apple tried to enforce use of particular makes and models of hard disks in the first Macs, but the users soon had patch for their formatting programme to fix that nonsense.

I picked up a Sun Sparc Station with a 540 MB SCSI disk. I have installed a Compaq hot swappable 2GB drive in it. I had to cut a perspex shim so it would sit level in the case. Otherwise it was just a matter of plugging it in.

Have you told the boss where to put his screwdriver?